Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day #97 - London, England

River Thames - at sunset

Kensington Gardens / Hyde Park


Westminster Abbey


London Eye


Big Ben


Saturday, June 19th



London is great city. I spent several more hours today walking around some of the places I'd yet to see. It's massive, expansive. You could walk forever in London. It's a clean city, dignified. The subway system (The Tube) is easy to get around. I find it convenient to stop into the many food cafes for a water or sandwich. I feel the streets are safe. It's a comfortable place to get around.



I found myself walking around Kinsington Gardens leading into Hyde Park. It's amazing the open areas people have to enjoy. This would be an outstanding place to run, as many people proved while I made my way through the park.



I kept going and found myself in Parliament Square. Just like you would imagine. There's Big Ben on one side. Westminster Abbey lines one of the sides of the square. I guess I didn't really know what Westmister Abbey was. It is an English Gothic cathedral. It has been the site of almost every British coronation since 1066. All the remaining buildings are those of Parliament. Very impressive site.



One thing of interest, the inner square was filled with tents housing protestors to the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. There were signs everywhere. I was surprised to see this here in Parliament Square. Although I never experienced the Vietnam years, referencing movies and prints, this display seemed similar to those on the Mall in DC during the height of the Vietnam War.



I continued on to the River Thames. The sun was beginning to set and I got some awesome pictures. On the other side of the river was the London Eye. It's a big carnival wheel that overlooks the banks of the Thames. Many people were gathered in this area taking photos, etc.



I don't really have anything dramatic to report today. It was just a relaxing day. Alot of walking and just taking it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment