Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day #80 - Paris to Raleigh/Durham

Wednesday, June 2nd

My international flights have been a little challenging recently. A big reason my blogs have been delayed the past few days is because I've continually felt like garbage.

After getting back from the French Open on Tuesday night - I started getting diarrhea. Now, I had fever, body aches, chills, and I couldn't keep anything down. None of these items alone is favorable when getting on a 1-hour flight. All of these symptoms combined prior to a 10-hour international flight - not so good.

Oh boy. How can I possibly be sick again. I've been resting, eating - what's up? Is it a coincidence that both times I had come from the Mediterranean. First time - I got sick in Barcelona. This time, from the French Riviera. I'm currently researching this - but I think I might be on to something. For people who don't know me really well -- I don't get sick that often - I just don't. If I do - it's usually something respiratory

Anyway - I had to be at the airport for a 10:40am flight. I was taking Motrin to kill the headache/fever, and Immodium for the diarrhea. I shouldn't have gone - but I did anyway.
I found some sprite at the airport and took a few swigs before boarding. My goal was just to stay still and somehow fall asleep if possible. It actually worked pretty well. The trip went by faster than I thought. I even started keeping some liquid and a few bites of food down. Things were tolerable.

I made it to Atlanta and then had an immediate transfer to Raleigh-Durham. This was only a 52 minute flight and all was well. I called my buddy Greg and told him not to pick me up that I would stay at a hotel by the airport. He insisted I stay at his place. He's definitely a great friend and got me everything I needed. It's very nice to be in a place where you know people once again -- I can't emphasize that enough. There is no lonelier feeling in the world - than being sick in a hotel room - in a foreign city 10+ hours from your home. I can't even describe it. I've lived by myself for 7 years in Minnesota - nothing compares to the feelings I've had in Istanbul and Paris the past month.

I got in, took some more motrin, and then hit the bed around 8:30pm. I hope tomorrow is a better day. I have 1.5 days to get better before Peru.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you're a bit under the weather, Kyle. Glad you are currently in the states and can hopefully get better quickly. Be kind to yourself!

    ReplyDelete