Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day #166 - Norway - Fjords

Inside the Sognefjord

Rocks and tree-lined shores of Western Norway

Looking out the back of the boat


Off the deck of the Lavik Fjord Hotel



Off the deck of my hotel - about 9pm

Friday, August 27th


I'm writing this blog aboard a boat headed to Bergen from Lavik, Norway. I just spent the last 2 days in the Sognefjord - the largest fjord on the western coast of Norway - amazing! I apologize about the lack of posts - but I had only a community computer at my disposal.


I headed out on Friday morning from Voss into Bergen. On arrival, I spent the day walking around Bergen - taking in the history and the ambiance of the town. I was awaiting my 4:30pm water shuttle up to Lavik, Norway. It was a 2-1/2 hour boat ride on the western coast of the country leading into the Sognefjord.


I am not exaggerating when I say that this boat ride led to the most impressive pictures I've taken to date. It was unbelievable. I fell under a lucky star. The conditions - 60 degrees, sunny, blue skies, green trees, picturesque mountains, and perfect white clouds. I couldn't stop taking pictures. I stayed outside the entire 2-1/2 hours. This boat was flying. There were only a couple other people outside (over 300 total people on boat) - they only came out for a quick picture and then went back inside. I had my hood up on my rain jacket and could barely stand up. I had to stand behind some supports to keep from going overboard at times.


I'm currently seeing the same sites on my return trip. The sky is pretty good today - but I'm not sure it could get any better than my trip on Friday. I'll post all my pics on my picture site at makeitcount.smugmug.com.


I arrived into Lavic at 7 pm. My hotel was 100 yards from the pier - overlooking the fjord - wow! You could sit out on the balcony and watch the ships come in. I had dinner overlooking the pier and called it a great day. This hotel is owned by a Dutch couple. I had a really nice conversation with them over dinner. I had read comments when I booked this place that the couple who owned it where great - I would concur. The place is called Lavik Fjord Hotel - it comes highly recommended. The rooms are OK - but the location and scenery are perfect.


I now need to just stare out the window - I'm missing the sites. I'll write more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment