Friday, August 13, 2010

Day #152 - Stockholm, Sweden

Narrow, busy, shopping streets

A view across one of the many waterways in the city

The Grand Hotel - host Nobel Prize winners in December


A look at "The City" - see the many islands and waterways



A Cultural Festival was going on

Friday, August 13th


Friday the 13th - I've always liked this day. I'm a fan of scary moives - it's a good night to chill inside, dim the lights, and pop in a movie.


If I was writing a travel itinerary for today, it would say: "Stockholm, at leasure". This was my typical - get into a big city, walk around, and just figure it out. Stockholm is best viewed by plane in my opinion. It's a maze of islands and lakes. I'm not even sure what they actually call "The City". It's really cool.


I had to look at a map a little quicker than normal because the area was so expansive. I first saw where the Goto Canal came into Stockholm (I mentioned yesterday how this canal extends from Goteborg to Stockholm). I walked around the Royal Palace - an incredible area set aside on one of the islands. I walked over to the Grand Hotel. This is one of the most famous hotels in Stockholm - it also host the Nobel Prize winners during the second week of December each year.


Their was a Cultural Festival going on today as well. Many bands and booths littered the streets - similar to Goteborg the other day - just on a much grander scale. There was a long street where most of the shopping and restaurants were located. It was a narrow street, isolated for foot traffic only.
I spent the late afternoon at the Tourist Center. I created a plan of attack for the next few days. I'm going to be leaving for Oslo, Norway next Tuesday morning - so I have 3 more days to see the sites. Tomorrow is going to be a fun day. I've got a couple day trips planned and then I intend to run the Midnight 10K in downtown Stockholm I've heard about these runs and biking events before - but I never participated. It should be interesting. After my day travels, I might come back to my place for a little while before heading back for the run.
Here's to a great Friday exploring the capital of Sweden and the so-called "Capital of Scandanavia"

1 comment:

  1. You are the luckiest traveler! Just how many festivals, concerts, etc. have you lucked upon? It seems that no matter where you are, a party is in progress! Maybe you should carry a lampshade with you! : )

    ReplyDelete