Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day #140 - Wales - Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey - the western front

Tintern Abbey



Only remains are left - Tintern Abbey



The 'Common Lounge' in the biggest hostal in London




The entranceway to the biggest hostal in London





Sunday, August 1st


I started the day in Cardiff, Wales. I'm now in London - another pretty aggressive travel day. I first took a 30 minute train to the city of Newport, Wales. This is the place where Celtic Manor - the golf course hosting the Ryder Cup this fall - is located. I couldn't see the actual course, as it was blocked by trees, but I was able to get a look at the clubhouse and the grounds. It looks like a pretty impressive place. Note to my sister, the 2016 Ryder Cup is in Minneapolis at Halzeltine - grab some tickets - I'll be over if you're still up there. The Ryder Cup is a prestigious golf tournament always held in the fall between the Americans and the Europeans. It's very unique in that it's a team competition. It's well recognized among the players as one of the elite golf events in the sport.


I spent only a short time in Newport. I walked through the town on my way to the bus stop. I took a 1 hour bus to my destination for today - Tintern Abbey. Tintern Abbey is an old monastery. It was founded in 1131 by monks of the Cistercian order. Often known as the 'White Monks' because they wore habits of undyed wool, the Cistercians practiced a life of strict austerity, rejecting possessions and unnecessary ornament In a desire for poverty and isolation, they chose for their new foundation remote places 'far from man'. Unlike other monastic orders, farmland provided their main source of upkeep.


Tintern Abbey is now only a reflection of what once stood at the site. It was neat to see. I walked around the ruins and took in the history of the place. Whenever I visit areas like this, where people once lived long ago, it really makes you appreciate the efforts put forward in building these amazing structures.

I took the bus back into Newport and then the train to London. Before I leave England, I need to retract my previous statements made on the UK train system. I've grown to appreciate it over the past couple weeks. Specifically, the Britrail pass is great. I am able to literally jump on any train I want - no questions asked - and get off when I feel like it. I don't need to make reservations like in mainland Europe. In this way, I actually like the UK system better. It's still pricy and there can be delays and cancellations sometimes stemming from the lack of consistency in the rail companies - but it's not all that bad. I just wanted to set the record straight.


I'm staying in a hostal the next 2 nights in London - the absolute biggest hostal in London. It's a place called Generator Hostal. Supposedly it holds up to 800 people - wow! I'm staying in a pot-luck 4 person room. I just met my roommates - 2 ladies from Barcelona - I'd put them at 50+. It's their first hostal ever and their first time in London. Interesting. They called it a night at 10pm. I'm down in the 'common area'. This place is enormous. There are roughly 30 people in the computer lounge. They have 8 computers for people to use. Most everyone else has their own laptops like me. There is a bar down the hall - I'd say there's another 100 people partaking in some drinks. This bar is only accessible within the hostal. There's another 30-40 people in the kitchen area and hanging out in the halls. Security guards are located outside the building. They have a staffed information booth inside the hostal - where you can also book tours. They have a restaurant and snack shop. Hostals are an adventure - you never know what you're going to get.

1 comment:

  1. Now that's a hostile I'd like to see! Everything you could ever want. I bet there are some very intersting people hanging out there.
    I'm in with the Ryder Cup tickets! Even if I'm not still there, we can both head back as a nod to MN :)

    ReplyDelete