Friday, August 13, 2010

Day #151 - Alingsas to Stockholm, Sweden

Awesome early morning pictures of Jan & Ulla's lake in Alingsas, Sweden

Early morning in Sweden

Calm, peaceful waters


Thursday, August 12th


I forgot to mention that Goteborg is spelled Gothenburg in English. So, if you look at a US map, you may not see the word Goteborg.


I got up early this morning and went with Jan into Alingsas where he dropped me off at the train station around 8am. A hearty "Thank You" to him and his family for their graciousness in extending their home to me for a couple nights. Onward to Stockholm


I took a 4-1/2 hour train to Stockholm - arriving around 1pm. I finished the Anne Frank book on the way. I had to call and talk with my little niece Madeline about my thoughts pertaining to the book. I don't know - the more I read, the more I was becoming less and less a fan of Anne Frank as the person. The book was great -- thought provoking, intriguing, representing a time in history that few people can forget. Anne herself -- I can totally appreciate her situation, her age, and the pressures of the enviroment in which they lived for 2 years -- still, I'm not sure her attitude and demeanor deserve a high amount of respect. Madeline talked me off the ledge a little bit and told me to focus on the reasoning upon which the book was published. Let's leave it at - "It's a great book, representing a terrible time in history, that should hopefully rally people to become better". Nuff said. Onto my next book - Dan Brown"s - Deception Point. I've read his DaVince Code, Digital Fortress, and Angels & Demons. I have Deception Point and the Lost Symbol to go. I'm a big fan of his books.


Once I arrived in Stockholm, I had some lunch at the tran terminal. Then, I got onto Wi-Fi and found a hotel for the next couple nights. I went to the information booth, found out what train I needed, and took a 15 minute ride to my stop at Barkaby. I'm staying at the Welcome Hotel - Ok place.


By the time I arrived and checked in, it was getting close to 4pm. I was pretty exhausted, so I decided to just relax the rest of the day. I took a nap, grabbed some dinner at the hotel, caught up on my blogs, and talked to some of my family via Skype well into the early morning.


Tomorrow - let's see what Stockholm is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment