Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day #147 - Copenhagen, Denmark

Sunday, August 8th

So last night I signed up for the Iceland - Reyjavik Marathon on August 21st. I haven't run over 13 miles in a couple months. Today I needed to get some confidence by going long.

I slept in longer than I had planned. It wasn't going to matter as far as heat goes, it was raining when I awoke. I headed out to the 4 long rectangular lakes (actually 5 lakes - the first one is separated by a road). The temperature was perfect - so the rain didn't bother me. I actually enjoyed it. I ran 3 loops around the lake - each taking about 45 minutes or so. I wanted to run without stopping for the first 13 miles. I then walked another 5-7 miles. It hurt - but I made it through. I won't be breaking any records in Iceland - but I think I can do it.

After running, completely drenched from head to toe, I headed to church (which started at 6:30pm). I've missed the last couple weeks because of travel, but I wanted to get there today. It was on the other side of town. I was cold and wet, so I stopped in and grabbed a large coffee for the walk. Denmark is pretty expensive when it comes to food and drink. I had ducked into a Burger King for the coffee - 15 Danish Frank for a small cup ($3). Sodas are 28 Danish Frank ($5). The lady in front of me ordered three meals, 2 for her kids and herself. Cost = 260 Danish Frank ($50). Should a hamburger, fries and a drink cost $15 at Burger King? Anyway, I walked the few miles to the church. I couldn't get in. It was crazy. I could hear the music inside but couldn't find the door. Maybe I was out of it from the run (I don't doubt this). But, I circled the place 5 times, checked every door, and even went through some alley ways. Not successful. It was in a little remote part of town, maybe they lock the doors after the mass starts. Hopefully the thought counts. I had good intentions - I just wasn't able to make it happen.

On the way back, I stopped by a 7-11 and got some groceries for the night. It's strange - there are 7-11 stores all over Copenhagen. I don't think I've seen a single one of these in my 140+ days in Europe. Here - they are everywhere. They don't have any Super Big Gulp cups however.

I'm currently vegetating in my room. All good. I moved hotels yesteray - this is my second place in Copenhagen (much better). I'm actually staying in the Tivoli Hotel. It's about a 15 minute walk from the amusement park. They give you free tickets to the park for 1 day with your stay. I had planned to go this evening, but with the rain, I'll do it tomorrow.

Tomorrow I head to the island west of Zealand - the island of Funen. Let's see what the birthplace of Hans Christian Anderson has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. So, what groceries did you buy? Just curious? Iceland marathon? Whoa dude, are you sure we come from the same gene pool? Still living vicariously thru you here in St. Lou where the temps have averaged 95 degrees for the last month.....almost time for school to start. Miss you! KB1

    ReplyDelete