Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day #160 - Reykjavik Marathon

U2 was right - It was a beautiful day

Reykjavik at dusk

Reykjavik Festival


One of the many stages



People gathered in heavy coats and hats


Saturday, August 21st


Success. Completed in 4:59. Slow - but to be expected with my limited long runs. Doing OK - just need to rest right now. I'll write more later. Thanks for the good wishes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marathon Day! This always brings excitement, nerves, anticipation, and wonder. Today was no different. The race was scheduled to start at 8:40am. I was up at 6:30. Once I got everything set, I headed to the hotel restaurant for a little breakfast. Back to the room to grab a few things and then I walked downtown to the starting line. It was about 1 mile - I took it really slow. I arrived about 7:45 - not many people yet. They had a building open adjacent to the start where runners could gather in the warmth. It was mid 40's (F), but the wind was starting to blow (foreshadow for what was to come).

Pre-race activities before a marathon could easily make an entire book in intself. It's crazy. Everyone has their own routine. Some people show up with nothing ready. They change clothes, put on their running number, and attach their timing chip. Other people are overly pumped. They are out jogging a few miles and warming up. Some are nervously talking. Some are quiet and sitting down (this is typically me). People are standing in line for the porta-potties. This is always the big concern. You have to plan your strategy so you can make it to the bathroom before the race - but not so far in advance that you must go again.

About 15 minutes to start time, I headed out the warm building into the chilly, Icelanic morning air to the sea of runners. There were a total of 3,000 runners participating in the marathon, half marathon, and 10K. All were starting at the same time. In events like this, you really need to be careful and not go out too fast. The people doing the 10K should be at an entirely different pace ideally. I stretched my legs a little, turned on my Garmin to pick up the satellite, took 2 motrin, put in my Ipod earpieces - I was ready.

I had 7 gel packets (more than usual - weird stuff with less carbs today), 2 more motrin, a handful of salt tablets, and a single water bottle that I would carry. Often, I'll run with a water belt - but since I didn't have one, I would just refill my singular bottle at the aid stations. I generally take a gel every 45 minutes in the race and the salt and motrin all depend upon how I feel.

Five minutes before start time - they make an announcement. I couldn't understand it. 1 minute - U2 comes on over the loud speaker - "It's a Beautiful Day". Awesome. There are few things I've done in life as intense as standing on the starting line before a marathon. The only thing between you and the finish - 26.2 miles - just get it done anyway possible. GO!

I settled in to a slow pace. Everyone was quickly out. I had seen the times from last year - fast - I expected to come in somewhere in the back of the pack. (Running is one of those things that you can closely predict where you should finish. If you've trained for a certain time - it's not like you're going to beat that mark by an hour). The first couple miles were occupied with dodging other runners and just staying upright. About Mile #4, things were beginning to stretch out. I found myself running next to these 2 "big girls". I settled in behind them. They were my wind blockers for the next 4 miles until I lost them at a water stop.

The scenery was incredible. Absolutley breathtaking. The majority of the course was run right next to the ocean. You could look out and see the moutains, boats, and nothing but the blue, ocean water. I've run next to the ocean for a couple miles in races before - today, we would run 12+ miles right near the water.

Now, with that being said, let's talk wind. Brutal! The wind brought the conditions (50F, sunny) from perfect to extremely challenging. The first 10 miles the wind was at our backs. Oh-boy. Not so good. This meant that the second half of the race would be dead into the wind.

I had made it through Mile #10. I wasn't feeling great - but I was still moving forward. In a marathon, I always set short term goals. I break it up into little pieces. I never think about the end. At Mile #10, the only thing on my mind was getting to the half-way point. I was running 10 minute/mile pace - pretty consistently. There were about 4-5 of us keeping our mile splits between 5-10 seconds. I made it to 13.1 (half-way) at 2:13 - not bad for me. I didn't know how long I could go without stopping. I hadn't run much more than this (without stopping) in months. I wanted to make it to Mile #16. It was starting to hurt. I pushed forward - but my pace was slowing. At Mile #15, I told myself that I would stop and walk at the next water stop or Mile #16 - whichever came first.

The water stop came at 15.7 miles on my Garmin. I started to walk and get my wind. I think I've mentioned this before, but stoppoing for short walking breaks is not a bad thing. Often times, this is discussed in running magazines. It gives your body a chance to regroup. In the past, I couldn't do this for 2 reasons: 1) I thought I was a failure to walk 2) Once I stopped running, I couldn't get atarted again. I'm OK with both of these now. This is probably the biggest reason I've continued to do marathons - without these 2 obstacles being overcome, I doubt I'd be running long today.

I ran/walked to Mile #20. The wind was crazy hard now. 25mph steady with gusts over 40mph. At times, it felt like I couldn't move forward. I would get pushed nearly off the road. head down - push forward. The last 6.2 miles were a major struggle. I was feeling sick, I couldn't run like I wanted - I just wanted to be finished. My time kept slipping until I realized I had to double-time it if I was to break 5 hours. I ran the majority of the last mile and finished at 4:59. Great feeling. 17th total marathon - 4th continent.

Just as a timing note (in my eyes): Under 3 hours - elite, 3-3:30 - excellent, 3:30-4 -very good, 4-4:30 - OK, 4:30-up - you're a survivor. I fall in the 'OK' and 'You're a survivor' most of the time. 4 hours is always a pretty good benchmark. If you're under that number, you know what you're doing.

Running long is so much about what you eat and drink. It must be closely monitored to get your best. After 17 marathons, I still don't have this figured out. There's so many factors - heat, wind, hills, your training leading into the run, your phycial health - that's what makes it interesting. After runs, I've been known to get sick. I've learned to never sit down right away - keep walking. And drink a diet coke or sprite if possible. This seems to settle my stomach.

Today, at the end of the race, I wasn't feeling great. No way could I stop. It worked out perfectly however. I got my medal and the foil drape they put around you for warmth. I then just walked all the way back to the hotel. I stopped at a convenience store and bought a sprite. By the time I got to my hotel room, I was feeling much, much better.

A shower and some rest until 6pm. I then ate dinner at the hotel restaurant. I always like to eat some kind of meat after a marathon - my body craves protein (not carbs). I decided to walk back into town (my legs were feeling surprisingly good). Today was the celebration of the founding of Reykjavik. 120,000 people hit the streets in celebration. That's nearly 1/2 the entire country's population. I had to see this.

When I got into town, people were everywhere. There were several stages with bands. Reykjavik has a large number of restaruants and bars. I went into a pub for a couple drinks. Barcelona was playing Seville in soccer. Messi had 2 goals. I had an hour conversation with this older gentlemen (he was born and raised in Iceland). Really educational. He was a teacher for years - now retired. I learned more about Iceland in that hour than all the books and brochures combined.

I walked the streets some more - after 9:30pm - exhaustion was setting in. I walked the 1 mile back to the hotel (leaving my mileage total well over 30 on the day). Bedtime - a really, really, good day -- something I'll always remember as my connection with Iceland.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job on the run! Beautiful pictures of Iceland. Rest up! KBO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! Beautiful pics! Must have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Kyle! We're proud of you!

    ReplyDelete