Friday, August 6, 2010

Day #145 - Copenhagen, Denmark - Hamlet's Castle

Looking into Sweden from Hamlet's Castle

One of the walkways in the castle

Hamlet's Castle


Louisiana Modern Art Museum



Brilliant!


Friday, August 6th



Since I spent so much time in the city of Copenhagen yesterday, I decided to go for a day trip today. I took a 30 minute train north to the city of Helsingor, Denmark. My target destination -- Kronborg Castle (Hamlet's Castle).


I was just reading about Hamlet 3 days ago in my Shakespeare book - arguably the best play written by Shakespeare. I knew the setting was based in Denmark. I just didn't realize I would be here days later.


Once off the train, you could see the castle standing prominently at the edge of the water. Kronborg Castle was built in the 1420s. It was a fortified castle - circled by a moat. There is a line of 17 cannons that are still displayed. They could fire up to 3,000 meters away. It was impressive to walk around. The central courtyard was amazing. This is the place where the play Hamlet is shown periodically. You can walk out to the waterfront and look over to Sweden. Legend states that a Viking hero named Holger Danske slumbers comfortably in the casemates of the castle - he will awaken to defend Denmark against invading enemies. A neat place to visit and it meant more to me because of my recent readings.


I next took the train 15 minutes south to the town of Humleback, Denmark. I decided to tour a modern art museum called Louisiana. Stated in my book, I haven't really seen many modern museums on the trip to date. Most of my time has been from the past. New perspective. But - similar results. Walking through this museum brought back memories of Bilboa, Spain - the Guggenheim. There were a number of abstract art pictures. Not so much sculptures - but just abstract pictures. I do enjoy these museums now. I actually walk through most of the displays with a smile on my face wondering where these people came up with this stuff. There was one whole wall dedicated to pictures of people sleeping in a bed. This guy supposedly had a bed, and just had different people come sleep there. One at a time. he would take there picture and add it to his display. These people did nothing but just lay there. Clothes on - nothing bad about it whatsoever. Just bizarre. Who would think of this? Tomorrow, go put up a lawn chair. Ask people to come over and sit in it. Take their picture. Put the pictures together in a frame. Then send it to the Guggenheim.


After my stroll through the modern art museum, I headed back into Copenhagen and called it an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment