Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day #161 - Reykjavik - The Blue Lagoon

The Blue Lagoon - perfect weather day for it

Little coves everywhere

Awesome


Warm waters - not too hot



A secluded area on the way into the resort


Sunday, August 22nd


I woke up early and scheduled a day trip to the Blue Lagoon. This is a famous geothermal pool about 40 minutes from Reykjavik. This was just what the doctor ordered for the sore muscles.


The bus picked me up at the hotel at 9:30am. I had eaten a nice breakfast earlier. We got to the place - fantastic. It was like a football field-sized hottub. The geothermal waters are supposedly filled with nutrients for healing and re-energizing. They gave you this bracelet to use for your locker and also as a credit card tool for purchasing drinks in the water. I joined a couple hundred of my closest friends in the thermal bath. The waters stretched out along these lava rocks. You could see steam rising up as you looked out across the horizon. They had this silica mud that everyone put on their face. People were walking around with this white covered smile. The water temperature was warm, but not too hot. In some areas it was hotter than others. I stayed in for over 2 hours. This was about as peaceful as you can get. If I closed my eyes - I could almost see Brooke Shields getting out of the water (Have you seen the movie Blue Lagoon)


I jumped out and showered up. I sat in the restaurant overlooking the thermal waters and wrote up by blog from yesterday. Incredible sites. I grabbed the afternoon shuttle back into Reykjavik. I arrived around 4pm.


I have a 7:50am flight tomorrow morning back to Oslo, Norway. I have a 4:35am shuttle from the hotel. This would be an early night.

A great, relaxing day at the Blue Lagoon.

1 comment:

  1. These pools are something I've always wanted to participate in....I bet it was amazinginly relaxing after the race. Nice pics! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete