Monday, July 27, 2020

Day #137 - AT Hike

Monday, July 27th - Day #137 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 0
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 1873.6/2,193 (85.44%)

Zero Day at Rattle River Hostal

Total States Completed - 12/14

**Rain - It rained periodically throughout the day. No severe storms here in town

—————-

A Zero day at a Hostal. Not much going today besides rest and recovery. I did get over to the Post Office to get my final resupply box (my final pair of shoes to bring me to the finish). I also got my haircut - only my 2nd haircut throughout my entire journey. I also shaved and got all my gear prepared for tomorrow. I’m keeping a bunch of things here - and we’ll be back after our challenging, 2-day, 21-mile journey.

I haven’t talked much about Hostal Life on the AT - so I thought I would take some pictures and describe a day for you.

First off - most Hostals have a number of different type rooms. They all have a least 1 bunk room - which can have as low as 3 bunks - and maybe up to 16 or so. They are usually just bunk beds to conserve space. Most hostals also offer double rooms and private rooms (for a much higher fee). The double rooms are for friends who want to stay together (or whatever) - but not have all the people around. The private rooms are usually 1 bed for couples or somebody (like myself sometimes) - that just want some peace and quiet for a better nights sleep.

Lots of Hostals have an area for storing your hiker shoes, hiking poles, and backpacks outside - to eliminate dirt getting into the house. They all have a community kitchen and refrigerator - that everyone shares. They usually have a big dining room area and a large TV room with a number of couches and chairs. Another essential to a good Hostal is an area outside where people go to sit (picnic table, chairs around a fire pit, etc). With as many people that smoke cigarettes and marijuana - this is mandatory for most hikers.

Another feature of most Hostals - they have an area you can do your own laundry.  (Some provide loaner clothes to wear while you’re doing the laundry).  They also have community bathrooms with showers. Many will provide all you can eat pancakes for breakfast. Sometimes - they do special treats at night - like brownies or ice cream for everyone (but that’s pretty rare). Lots of Hostals have a small area for resupply - candy bars, sodas, chips, etc. I’ve even seen them give you 1 free beer or soda on check-in.

Many Hostals offer free shuttles to common resupply points like Walmart, the Post Office, and grocery stores. The place I’m staying in now has a 5pm shuttle to Walmart everyday. They give you 1-hr to get what you need.  1 off shuttles can be arranged for a fee usually. Another critical piece to a good Hostal is free shuttle service to/from the trailhead (if located off the trail)

Bottom line - Hostals are generally super hiker friendly. I’d say 90% of them are run by former thru-hikers. They get it - and know what you need when you arrive.

So with all the features in place - how do people spend their time?  Answer - you just do what you do. Today - there were several people hanging outside drinking beer and smoking most of the day. A few people hung out in the TV room watching movies. There’s always somebody cooking something at all hours. Some people are in the bunk rooms napping or reading books (this was me today). Basically - Hostals provide a very social environment to partake as you choose.

I’m 50-50 on Hostals. I like being able to talk with other hikers about the trail. This is the way you learn about upcoming segments, etc.  They can also be a lot of fun hanging out with some very interesting people (it’s a big part of the AT experience). The big downside for me - lots of times I’m beat down when I get into town. I’m not looking to go on an all-night bender and see if I can drink myself into oblivion. I’d rather just rest and watch some TV while napping. It’s really up to each person. Note - most thru-hikers are younger people. And I was more about the party when I was younger as well. Once I look back at the end of my journey - I bet my town stays will be equally divided between Hostals and hotels. (I’ve tried to stay in the more legendary Hostals for the experience).

OK - time for sleep. Tomorrow is a 13 mile, 5,600’ vertical day - HUGE. We have a 5am shuttle to the trailhead. I’m praying for good weather. We have 4 peaks over 4,000’ to climb. It’s going to take everything I got to make it happen. Please send me strength!  Good night from a legendary Hostal - on the outskirts of the White Mountains - in rural NH!

This is me

Bunk room

Pack storage

Common bathrooms 

That’s the outside fire pit

Dining area

My new shoes for the home stretch 

I’m the lower bunk on the right

A Hostal - dressed like a normal house

Outside water spigot for filling bottles


Loaner clothes to wear while you do your laundry

Community showers

TV room

The hiker yearbook - “Stay the way you are. Friends forever 91”

Hiker shoe storage 

Community kitchen

Standard picnic table

No comments:

Post a Comment