Friday, July 30, 2010

Day #138 - Grasmere & Manchester, England

Grasmere, England

A little stream in Grasmere

The streets of Manchester, England


Manchester, England

Friday, July 30th


This morning I took a 30 minute bus ride over to another small town in the Lake District - the town of Grasmere. I was told great things about this place - and it did not disappoint. This was the home of poet William Wordsworth and he is buried in the graveyard of the village church. I walked around for a couple hours - but since I had my big bag with me - I decided to cut it short. The town was great. Very small. A little stream cut through the center of it. The lake was just a short walk away. A really good day trip from Windermere.


I took the bus back and then got a train to Manchester. I decided I was going to spend the weekend in Wales so I needed to continue south. Once arriving in Manchester, I only had 1 hour before my connecting train to Cardiff (capital of Wales). In that time, I made a quick loop around the city. A really big place. It appeared to have alot of diversity. Above ground trains similar to Geneva, Switzerland. Tall buildings everywhere and a huge central train station. Manchester, Leeds, and Liverpool are 3 big cities very near each other in central England. The couple I met on my Peru trip live in Manchester (the doctor and nurse). Unfortunately, they were both out of town for the weekend - maybe I'll catch up with them on a return trip.


I then took a 3-1/2 hour train down to Cardiff. Wales is the last area in the UK for me to visit. Wales is located north of London and south of Manchester - on the western coast. It's a small area as compared to England and Scotland. There's not as many 'drawing cards' here. I was told that the southern coast of Wales is worth the visit. Because I arrived around 7pm - I decided to call it an early night and see what happens tomorrow. I had about 5 hours of train travel and a couple hours of buses today. I need a little shuteye.

No comments:

Post a Comment