Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day #111 - Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Anne Frank House


The Anne Frank House


World War II Monument - The Dam



Oude Kerk - old church


Saturday, July 3rd


Today was a good day. My little niece, Madeline, had recently talked with me about the Diaries of Anne Frank before leaving on my trip. As she is so very smart, she explained the story to me and what this involved. I had never read this book, nor really knew much about it.


This brings me to today in Amsterdam. Let me explain. Anne Frank was one of the millions of victims of the persecutions of the Jews during World War II. She lived in Germany, when, in 1933, Hitler came to power and installed an anti-Jewish regime there. For their safety, the Jewish Frank family fled to the Netherlands. However, in May 1940, the German army occupied the Netherlands and repressive measures against Jews followed here as well. The Frank family hoped to escape these by hiding in the now famous - 'Anne Frank House'.


Otto Frank, his wife Edith Frank-Hollander and their daughters Margot and Anne took up residence in the 'Anne Frank House' on July 6, 1942. Later on, Hermann and Auguste van Pels, their son Peter, and Fritz Pfeffer joined them in hiding.


This place was fascinating - really. I normally filter through museums pretty quickly, spending time on areas of interest only. Today was different. I read every word in this museum, watched every film, and looked at every display. I was passionate about it. I was surprised on how much this place had an affect on me. It wasn't all that big, so it took me about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to complete the tour.


The Anne Frank House is a 15 minute walk from the central train station of Amsterdam. It's located right on one of the many canals that filter through the city. One would not know this house from any other if it weren't for the huge line of tourist waiting to get inside. I waited for about 25 minutes before entering. This wasn't too bad. It was a Saturday afternoon.


The building is comprised of two sections: the front part of the house and also a back part - referred to as the annex. Otto Frank's company was located in the front part of the house with the warehouse on the ground floor, and the offices and storeroom upstairs. The warehouse ran all the way through the building, extending under the annex out back. Anne's family, and the others hiding, lived on the upper floors of the annex for more than 2 years. They were eventually betrayed and deported. No one knows to this day who actually led the Nazis to the building.

The 8 hideouts were aided daily by the workers in the office space. These included: Jo Kleiman, Victor Kugler, Miep Gies, and Bep Voskuijl. They provided food for survival. When the Nazis invaded the home, all 8 of the hideouts were sent to Camp Westerbork in the east of the Netherlands and were then transported to Auschwitz extermination camp. Only Otto Frank survived the war. Two of the helpers were also arrested and imprisoned. Jo Kleiman and Victor Kugler were imprisioned in Amsterdam and transferred to Concentration Camp Amhersfoort. They survived the war.



Upon Otto Frank's return, he was given Anne's diary that she had kept during her time in hiding. This was found and kept by Miep Gies and Bep Voskuijl, who had not been arrested upon the Nazi invasion of the home. Otto Frank was actively involved in making the Secret Annex available to the public as a museum - and also in publishing Anne's diary.



I guess this place meant more to me because this is relatively recent history - some 60 years ago. Alot of the castles and older buildings throughout Europe - they don't seem real. I can't understand how things were back then. The 'Anne Frank House' is very real. You could just imagine how these people were feeling on a daily basis.

The things that struck me most included:


(1) The movable bookcase that hid the secret passageway to the Annex. I'll always remember those words written on the wall: "Now, whenever we want to go downstairs, we have to duck and then jump". You could close your eyes and see this 15 year old girl doing this.

(2) They had a film of Miep Gies telling how she was asked to help the families in hiding. Very interesting to hear her perspective.

(3) Walking through the bedrooms where the 8 stayed - wow. Anne had cut out pictures and pasted these on the wall. There was pencil markings showing how much the 2 girls grew in height over the 2 year period. Otto had a little map showing how the war movement was progressing.

(4) Anne, her family, and Fritz Pfeffer (5 total) stayed 1 level below Hermann, Auguste, and Peter van Pels. There was a very steep staircase connecting the 2 levels. I can't imagine staying in that close of quarters for 2 years. There was zero privacy. Hermann and Auguste's bedroom also acted as the sitting room and kitchen.


(5) They had a film of Otto Frank. He lived for several years after his family had passed. He knew that Anne had kept a diary. He stated that the words he read really surprised him. It was words that he never knew Anne felt. He said: "Anne and I were so very close, and it seems like I didn't know her at all"



Hey Madeline - you defintely have to come here some day. If you can't find anyone to go with you, give me a call, I'll be your wing man anytime. I have something coming your way. I even bought the diary and plan to read it after Shakepeare -- somebody needs to stop me.

I spent the rest of the day walking some sections of the city I hadn't gotten around to. I visited Oude Kerk - Amsterdam's oldest church. This church dates from 1300 and has a 47-bell Hemony carillon. A carillon is the largest musical instrument, a bronze chorus of multiple bells - that graces a number of church towers across the Netherlands. I also visited the main town square - The Dam. They have an obelisk monument to remember those who had fallen in World War II.


Back in the hotel. Tomorrow is a huge travel day for me. I make my way to Italy - and a visit with my aunt & uncle on Monday-Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Uncle Kyle- Thanks for writing such a great account of your trip. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. If your like me, reading the book will make the whole thing even more real to you.

    After I read the book, I wanted to learn more. There are a few books other than the diary that I think you would like as well. I'll talk to you about them soon.

    Talk to you soon! -Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle, All day Madeline talked about getting back to the hotel so she could see what you wrote. We were on the campus of Cal Berkley today for a look. Beautiful, just as you had described. Glad you enjoyed the tour. The outside of the house is not as I had pictured. Thanks for making it come to life for us. KB1

    ReplyDelete