Monday, July 19, 2010

Day #126 - St. Andrews - British Open Golf Championship

Louis Oosthuizen - 2010 British Open Champion

Louis Oosthuizen - 7 shot victory

Sunday, July 18th


Pictures from internet again today - I had to put a picture of the winner in my blog, if not, I would never remember this guy's name.
Today we actually left Edinburgh a little later - around 10am. We got to the course about 11:30am after our bus transfer. My goal today was just enjoying the scenery and taking it all in. I fully expected a runaway - the day's events would play out just like I expected.


I'm a big competition guy - I just can't help it sometimes. It's hard for me just to enjoy things for what they are at times. I discussed this with Randy. He's similar. I always want to see a particular person or team win. I start getting passionate about it - then I get let down if it doesn't go my way. Why am I like this? It's not something I can control. It's crazy. I can be completely devastated if I lose a game of pool to somebody at a bar. I can get frustrated playing horseshoes if I don't win. If I play my little nieces and nephews in a game - I want to win. Oh well - I use this fire the best I can to do the right things.


With this being said, I enjoyed the golf today. These guys are impressive. We stood and watched the 17th green for a long while. It's generally the most difficult hole at St. Andrews. Today was no different. We watched about 6 groups come through - and only saw a couple pars, with many single bogeys and a couple doubles sprinkled in.


Hole #7 and hole #11 criss-cross each other. Weird. I've never seen anything like it. Hole #11 is a par 3. Golfers are hitting their tee shots over the heads of the golfers standing in the #7 fairway ready to hit their approach shot to the green. The wind was blowing hard most of today. Not quite as bad as Saturday, but steady winds nonetheless. It seemed like the winds were strongest on the backside of the course - with Holes #11-14 seeing the most fierce cross winds.


We walked around and appreciated more of the holes we hadn't watched on Saturday. We spent some time in the merchandise tent. I really haven't bought anything on my trip to date other than tickets to get places. I did buy a picture today. I had to do it. I like to put pictures up in my house from places I've visited. I will always remember St. Andrews - so I bought a really nice picture of the 18th hole - showing the Swilcan Bridge. It was worth it to me. They are sending the picture back to the states for me (mom/dad - should be coming to your place within a week or so)


By the time the leaders got to the 13th hole, the outcome was a foregone conclusion. 'Oosy' was running away with this thing. Good for him. His first major. He seems like a good guy. We didn't actually stay to the very end to see the trophy presentation. We left a couple holes before this to get a jump on the crowd.


A great, great weekend (actually 4 days) of golf. I'm going to try and get back to St. Andrews over the next 2 weeks to get some pictures myself. Sometimes things get better with time. As I look back in the future over the past week - I think I'll be able to appreciate the sites I was lucky enough to see even more than I do right now.


A train to Edinburgh - late dinner - and we called it a day. I would be leaving by train to London tomorrow morning and Randy would be leaving by plane for his return trip to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment