Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day #112 - Amsterdam to Milan, Italy

Sunday, July 4th

Today was a big travel day for me. I took an 8:04 train out of Amsterdam headed to Milan, Italy. We entered into Germany right away and skirted the western edges of Germany until we reached our mid-point destination at Basel, Switzerland. We went through Dusseldorf and Frankfurt making our way south. This is the first time on the trip into Germany for me. I'll be spending alot of time here in the fall.

It took 6 hours to get to Basel - arriving around 2:30pm. I had a 3 hour layover here. I left the station and found a Starbucks where I got some food and used the internet service. Back to the station for a 5:30pm departure to Milan. We headed straight south, travelling through Bern, Switzerland on our way into Italy. Another 90 minutes - I arrived at my final destination at 9:25pm - another 4 hour train ride (10 hours on train today).

I'm currently in my hotel in Milan. I'm staying right by the central station, Tomorrow morning I have an 8am train to Venice, Italy. I'll be meeting up with my aunt and uncle for a couple day visit. I'm excited about seeing them and really looking forward to exploring Italy some more.

2 comments:

  1. did a whirlwind day in Venice (night train in and night train out) in 1994. Really enjoyed the city - so unique from anything I'd seen before. I'll be interested to see how it's changed since then (or hasn't). Enjoy!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venice was my absolute favorite city. Don't forget to have some gelato. It is mandatory for the true experience! KB1

    ReplyDelete