Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day #128 - London, England

Tuesday, July 20th



Today was a business day for me. I caught up on the blogs (which I apologize about the delay) and got my finances in order. I'm staying at a new place just outside Gatwick Airport - it's working out nicely. I transferred here from my expensive place that I stayed last night at the airport.



My next couple weeks will be spent in Wales and Scotland primarily as I await the return of my Russian Visa. I do have a few things I want to see in southern England first. I also have some friends near Manchester that I want to hook up with as well.



After the UK, I will be spending the month of August in Scandanavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland). I'm really excited about this area. These countries are always listed at the very top of the happiest places to live in the world. In a 2008 poll, the most 'happy' countries in the world were: (1) Denmark (2) Switzerland (3) Austria (4) Iceland (5) Finland (6) Australia (7) Sweden. 4 of the 5 Scandanavian countries made the list. I like happy - my goal is to figure out what they have - and try to bottle it up.



I can't think too far ahead so my concentration at this time is coming up with a plan for these 5 countries and trying to figure out the differences between England, Scotland, and Wales. I can say one thing - I don't think they like each other very much.


Tomorrow I'll be headed to the southern coast of England for further exploration.


I've been listening to my Ipod alot lately. Not sure why - I guess I was into the music. 'Chicken Fried' - this is not a new song. I liked it alot when it came out - but listening to the verses more -- it's a great song. Now, folks have commented to me that they are using my travels as a way to see Europe through my eyes. Well, there's things about the US and summertime that I miss as well. Do me a favor and make this scenario happen this weekend and tell me about it.

"A barbecue with friends, under the cover of some tall oak trees with a breeze coming through, some old country music playing in the background, a game of horseshoes contested around the corner, a rolling stream or pool to cool off in, some late night fishing under the stars, all topped off with an ice-cold beverage of your choice"

Now - go make this happen.

2 comments:

  1. Kyle-
    I'm sure that you are missing "home". But you are taking a trip of a lifetime! I hope that you are enjoying it. It's been fascinating to me to read about your journey. You are literally seeing the world and living life to the fullest, but I can appreciate you missing a fun, hang-out kind of summer evening. Enjoy where you are at now - there'll be time for the hand-out kind of summer evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle,
    We are having a whirlwind summer! Here are some nostalgic stories of Ste. Gen summer... Fourth of July weekend Chad and Amy came to our house with their kids and we had a nice barbecue, some cold beverages and some fireworks. It was nice and relaxing! Two weeks ago we went to the County Fair with the kids. We worked a 2-hour shift at the beer stand wearing "Vote for Peggy" shirts. (My mom is running for Recorder of Deeds.) We experienced large volumes of cold beverages and then went to the demo derby. My bother was "co-pilot" in one of the cars. It was not Scotland, but it was familiar and comfortable, summer in Missouri :-)
    Then last weekend I attended a Toby Keith/Trace Adkins concert with some friends. We had a GREAT time! On Sunday Dan and I took the kids to the Lawrenceton picnic (wearing our "Vote for Peggy" shirts) and ate a meal you probably haven't had in a while--typical Ste. Gen. picnic dinner of kettle beef, fried chicken, liver dumplings, mashed potatoes, green beans, slaw, tomatoes and homemade desserts. Plan to go to the Weingarten picnic (with our "Vote for Peggy" shirts) next weekend for the same...I'll have a few bites just for you! As for horseshoes, since you moved to Minnesota Dan has been throwing with Crowbar at the KC tournament, however this year he decided he's not going to throw. It's so hot and miserable we're not going this year. Dan and Randy are going to play in the Jour de Fete golf tournament in a couple weeks, though. Sounds like Randy had an exceptional time on his trip. Dan says he's a terrific golfer. This evening Dan and I took the kids for a walk around the pond. Our son, Gavin, found a large hole surrounded by some egg shells. He swears some snakes hatched there...we don't really know what it was. We didn't wet any lines, but we did see many baby bluegill swishing around next to the shore. So there you have our stories of barbecue, country music, horseshoes, fishing and summertime fun! Next summer we'll have to have a barbecue for you. Just remember that while you're reading this and missing summertime in Bloomsdale we are reading this and experiencing so many things through your vivid descriptions that we would otherwise probably never see or hear about...You're doing an awesome job! Thanks so much for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete