Friday, July 9, 2010

Day #114 - Venice, Italy

Awesome Venice

Some of the many gondolas on the Grand Canal




A still side canal in daylight



A perfect dinner night picture




My aunt and I at St. Mark's Basilica



Tuesday, July 6th



Sorry for the delay the past couple days - it's been an adventure. Coming to you live from Geneva, Switzerland late on Friday night in my hotel room.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Tuesday started with a 3-mile run around the canals and bridges of Venice. A great place to hill train with the endless steps in the city. I then grabbed a large bottle of orange Fanta - a drink I've come to favor while in Europe. Even though I was staying at a bed & breakfast - I chose not to participate in the food offering. The breafast consisted of a loaf of bread, a couple small containers of jam, and a package-thing that appeared to be a twinkie. I opted out and would eat later.



I met up with my aunt and uncle at 9am. We headed out walking in a different direction from yesterday. We stopped and appreciated the small local shops. Venice celebrates Carnevale - similar to Rio de Janiero. There were masks, beads, and costumes in many areas along the streets. Carnevale is celebrated the 10 days before Shrove Tuesday (or Fat Tuesday - day before Ash Wednesday). It's basically a festival period with dancing and costume balls. The idea is similar to Mardi Gras in the US - but Carnevale is a bit more elegant in my eye.



We kept walking and found ourselves back in St. Mark's Square. My aunt and I spent some time in St. Mark's Basilica. The Basilica was originally built as the final resting place of St. Mark - whose body was smuggled by two merchants out of Alexandria in 828. The current structure dates back from the 11th century and has a Byzantine style. Some of the items found in the Basilica were looted from Constantinople in 1204. (Maybe some of the gold and marble were taken from the Hogia Sophia - the great building I visited in Turkey) I'll remember St. Mark's for it's impressive ceilings and gold outlines. A neat, historic place.



We continued on from St. Mark's Square and made our way through the fresh fish markets, as well as the fruits and vegetable markets. We crossed over one of the most impressive bridges that spans the Grand Canal - The Rialto Bridge. Awesome sites all around.



We chose not to do the gondola ride as we had really seen the city from the water viewpoint during our water bus from St. Mark's Square all the way to our hotel at Piazza San Marco. This is really a great option to the more expensive gondola rides. The time frame is roughly the same - about 35-40 minutes each. Gondola rides can go between 60-100 euro ($75-$130).



I did read up a little on the gondolas. The left side of all gondolas is 24cm longer than the right side. We were on to something yesterday. The longer left side aids the gondalier in paddling on the rightside only and controlling the boat. Also, gondolas are always black and have a flat bottom so they manuever in even the smallest depths of water.



The gondalier has to pass a written and skill test, and then go through a 1-year apprenticeship before they can be a gondalier. It takes 5 years to where they could get their own gondola and be considered the 'real-deal'. This surprises me - it doesn't appear to be all that complicated. I doubt they would like me coming up to them and saying: "Hey, I bet I could paddle that thing right now around these canals". This takes me to a dinner my buddies and I had in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Winter Olympics. We were having dinner at this restaurant and we noticed what appeared to be a team also having dinner near our table. We introduced ourselves. We found out it was the Norwegian curling team. We ended up having drinks with them and talking into the evening. (Norway won the gold in curling that year). I think it was a few beers in and I stated: "Hey, I think I could do this curling thing with a little practice" I was just kidding around. They told me how they worked their entire lives to become a champion curler. They spent years perfecting their craft. No way could a person ever pick this up quickly. This was all friendly jabbing and conversation - we all laughed at the thought. (But, underneath, to be honest, I think I could be a curler with a little practice)



After seeing Venice at its finest, we headed back to the hotel for an afternoon break. We skyped my mom to see what was going on in the states. My aunt and uncle had never used Skype before - I think they were impressed. I had to book a few upcoming hotels and complete some email - so we decided to meet up at 6pm.



Our evening started with some relaxing conversation by our hotel at an outdoor table. We then walked over to a nearby restaurant recommended by our hotel attendant. We proceeded to have the best dinner of the trip for me. About 3-1/2 hours later - we were leaving the restaurant for a little walk to end the evening. Fantastic. Great conversation, great wine, great atmosphere by this side canal, and great company. I really get along well with my aunt and uncle. We pretty much talk about anything. They are awesome. We ended the meal with an after dinner drink - that I did as a shot - my aunt/uncle were laughing at me.



A walk back to the hotel and a farewell to each other. I really look forwad to our next meeting - wherever that may be. One things for sure - it's bound to be fun and interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment