Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day #117 - Pamplona to Geneva, Switzerland

Friday, July 9th

The day started in the Pamplona bus terminal. We had to board the bus in this underground section - as the main part of the station was locked down at this hour of the day. Not a great treat for the 30 minutes of boarding. Hot, drunken fools abound, smoke everywhere. We finally got on the bus and I caught a break. I was in the handicap aisle - so the seats had great leg room. Very nice - I would need it. The bus ride took 6 hours to get back into Barcelona. It actually went well. I rested but didn't really sleep. Things were quiet enough and we had air conditioning.

Once in Barcelona - arriving at 7:30am - I had to take the metro across town to the Franco Station for my train to Geneva. The metro was smooth, 2 short rides, and I was at the station. I boarded the train at 8:45am. We were first headed to Montepelier, France and then from there to Geneva. I was set to arrive in Montepelier at 1:22pm. I had a 1:56pm departure to Geneva.

At 1pm, the train stops. Why? A lady sits by me. She tells me that there is a fire near Montepelier and train travel is stalled. What? A fire? How many times can I be delayed on trains in France? We sit for 2 hours - stopped cold. We are still 30 minutes from Montepelier. I've already missed my train to Geneva.

I'm writing this at 3:10pm. The train is now moving. How am I going to get to Geneva? There was only 1 train from Montepelier - and I have missed it. My buddy is arriving at 10:30am tomorrow morning at the Geneva airport. He expects me to meet him. I have a hotel already booked tonight in Geneva. Oh boy - this should be fun. I gotta go for now - I need to pull some magic out of the hat.

LATER

6pm -- I'm on a train from Montepelier to Lyon, France. With no other delays, I will make it to Lyon to catch a 8:04pm train to Geneva - arriving at 9:30pm tonight. Crossing my fingers here. I'm exhausted.

6 hrs - Pamplona to Barcelona.
1.5 hrs - Barcelona metros and waiting.
7 hrs - Barcelona to Montepelier.
2.5 hrs - Montepelier waiting.
3.5 hrs - Montepelier to Lyon to Geneva (I hope)

LATER

8:30pm -- I made the Lyon to Geneva train. All good. I'll make it to Geneva tonight to meet up with my buddy tomorrow morning.

A ballistic travel day.

No comments:

Post a Comment