Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day #129 - Brighton, England

Brighton, England

Long beachfront


Rocky beaches in Brighton


Royal Pavilion




Beaches of Brighton


Wednesday, July 21st


Today I took a train due south from my current location for about 30 minutes to the seaside town of Brighton, England. Often called "London-by-the-Sea" - this place was referenced in my 1000 Things book.


Very cool place. After getting out of the train station, I walked down to the ocean. There was a long stretch of beachfront that went on forever. I walked the whole length of it. People where on the beaches and filled the streets. Not as crazy as the French Riveria, but a bustling city nonetheless.


I then walked up into the city to a place called the Royal Pavilion. This is a palace that was built in the late 1700s by King George IV. This place supposedly demonstrates the excesses and extravagances of that period when Brighton became England's most fashionable seaside resort. There were tons of people walking the interior streets. This must be a pretty popular place for tourists - as these folks were not in business mode.


A relaxing day. I actually wore my Ipod all day as I walked around. I never do this. I'm shaking it up a little. My songs consists of about 70% old country. This town is known to be trendy and hip. It was an odd mix I had going on.


One thing I need to change for tomorrow is reducing the amount of money I spend on trainfare. My eurail pass does not work in the UK. Individual tickets are outrageously high. I've done some research on a Britrail pass. Tomorrow I'm going into London early am to get this pass so the next 10 days will be more reasonable.


Here's to the Cardinals making it 8 in a row tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment