Friday, October 29, 2010

Day #228 - St. Louis to Athens, Greece

Dubrovnik airport - just setting the tone




Thursday, October 28th



"Maverick is re-engaging sir"



I'm coming to you live from 33,000ft in the sky, somewhere over Greenland, aboard United Jet 942, bound for Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris, France.



First off, a special "Thank You" to everyone for all the encouragement and support for my family this past week. After 19 days in the hospital, we brought my dad home to Bloomsdale last night (Wednesday - 27th). He's currently in his lazy-boy, TV remote in hand, being cared for by the very best (my mom). He's had a couple close calls, but appears on the road to recovery - a very, lucky guy.



This trip could be titled: "Life 101". Really. The things I continue to learn about the way the world turns, and how I fit into this picture - is nothing short of amazing.



I felt like I knew a little about the medical profession prior to my return to the states 8 days ago. 7 years of minimally invasive surgical sales - any place in the body that can be viewed with a scope (rigid or flexible) - I've had some exposure to. I even entertained the idea of becoming a doctor myself in college -- completed all the elective courses, took the MCAT, wrote the essay, volunteered for a year at the hospital, completed the application, and went through the interview process. My path took me the way of engineering, but I never lost interest in medicine.



Well, it comes down to the fact that I know very little about the profession. I had an eye-opener to the "medical process" this past week. Enough to be angry and frustrated quite frankly. I shouldn't be - can't help it. Lesson learned -- "Fight for yourself, ask questions, and force performance". This little blurb can just about hold true for anything - medicine is no exception.




So, I'm heading back to Europe to finish what I started. I'd by lying if I didn't say: "My mind is all mixed up right now". I don't know what to do. Stay. Go. I'm not really comfortable either way. There's no playbook here. I'm going by instinct only. Am I selfish? Some will certainly say this is the case. I guess at the end of the day - we all have to do what we need to do.




With all this being said, I hope you can respect my decision to finish the trip. Although it may appear crazy, irresponsible, lazy, etc to travel for a year -- this is very important to me. I DO have a plan. Like I once said: "Maybe I'm the most stable, unstable person you could ever meet".




Hang with me. Let's stay healthy, and have a little fun! I'm currently listening to the song: "Tight Fittin Jeans" by Conway Twitty. Pull up this song on YouTube and have an awesome Halloween weekend. Perhaps there's a party or two to attend. Oh - maybe the Black & Gold can tame the Huskers in Lincoln on Saturday.




Tomorrow - live from Athens, Greece --- the home of the marathon. Keep the faith!






No comments:

Post a Comment