Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day #203 - Rhine River Valley, Germany

Heading north along the Rhine River

An awesome sunset

Vineyards - high on the hillsides


Castles everywhere



Streets of Rudesheim


Vineyards in Rudesheim


Sunday, October 3rd


I really like Germany. Each day continues to meet or exceed my expectations. It feels very comfortable. People speak fluent English nearly everywhere, the transportation systems are solid, and the country offers history, mountains, scenic rivers and forests - all with a good ol' boy mentality. Combine this with the 'very true' perception that Germans are precise, detail oriented, and focused on quality -- a great place to visit.


I started the day off by going to church near the central train station. Trying to keep it going. Not saying this to appease my mom (although she keeps me in line), I've definitely come to appreciate that spiritual growth is important for me to be the best person I can.


I then took a train to the town of Rudesheim. It's on the southern portion of the Middle Rhine River. I was given this as a place to start my tour of the Rhine River Valley by the information folks in Frankfurt. If I had it to do all over again, I would lay out the day exactly how it unfolded.


The Rhine River is a 820 mile river that runs north from Switzerland to the North Sea. Perhaps the most well known section, and the section most frequently visited, is the area in western Germany. Specifically, the 50 mile stretch between the cities of Mainz to Koblenz, is a must-see area.


I started out in Rudesheim which is just north of Mainz. I took a few hours to walk around this small town. Unbelievable atmosphere. Vineyards everywhere, cable cars going up on the hill, interesting buildings, people watching, with food and drinks galore.


I crossed over the railroad tracks and boarded my boat at 4pm. I took a 4 hour boat ride up the Rhine River all the way to the city of Koblenz. Outstanding! I found my way to the main outside deck on the front of the boat. Within 10 minutes, I was gathered in a circle around 6 of my closest friends. There was a couple from Bloomington, Indiana, a young German couple (newly married) from Berlin, and the parents of the young married guy (also from Berlin).


We ordered a set of drinks and just kicked back. What we were witnessing was spectacular. Vineyards along the banks, castles perched high up on the hills, huge rocks as the river narrowed into a gorge, interesting small towns dotting the shoreline, and mountainsides filled with autumn-colored trees. If you want to get relaxed - go on this trip. I could get into details concerning the castles and what not, but quite frankly, I don't want to. Today was not about details - I will only remember the atmosphere. Buy a book at the stand before boarding and read about the sites during the cruise. This is what I did and it was a topic of conversation throughout the trip - it kept things interesting.


The younger German couple had just came back from the US - literally 2 days ago. They were married in Las Vegas and had been travelling all over the western portion of the US for the past month. This guy kept saying: "We loved the US, people are so laid back and friendly. When we left, we told ourselves to have that attitude". Now, first thing I thought about when I heard this was: "Is this guy nuts. If this was not a German business guy who had just come from San Diego and LA - I would not be having this same conversation. If I was speaking to a housewife from Barcelona who had just visited Philly - I doubt the same words would be spoken" However, I thought it was extremely cool. The US is a great place, but there can certainly be a variance in attitude pending the region visited - I've found that most Europeans do not see it the same way as the couple I visited with today. But, you know what, I've largely felt very well received during my journey to date.


The Germans commented on my relaxed state. I always find it kind of funny when people say this to me. My very first trip on an airplane was in graduate school at Univ of Missouri. About 5 of us and our professor flew to Albuquerque, NM to attend an environmental conference. I remember one of the days I was sitting at the pool - nobody around - just me. The waitress lady came out to bring me a drink. She said: "I've never seen anyone in my life look more relaxed than you do right now".


From that point forward, I tend to notice that about myself as well. (maybe that's why I enjoy travelling so much) Whenever I'm on trips, it's like the world is lifted from my shoulders. I'm so much better - I think more clearly, I have better instincts, and I generally have a very positive attitude. This journey of mine in Europe is alot about seeing the sites, but it's also about learning to take that same approach in everything I do. Keep the fire, ditch the anxiety and worries -- that's my perfect combo. Now - I just need to execute.


Here's to a great day with a little personal insite along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment