Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day #206 - Strasbourg, France

Cathedral of Notre Dame - Strasbourg

Strasbourg

Strasbourg


Musee D'nterlinden


Musee D'Unterlinden


Wednesday, October 6th


Happy Birthday to Heather today! Wish I could be in Bloomsdale to salute with a toast. Here's to a great year!!!


Today I did another day trip - but this time it was more reasonable. I took the train first to the city of Colmar, France. It's an interesting little town. Neat streets. People were out everywhere.


One of the highlights of the town is the Musee D'Unterlinden. It's a museum based on religious art. I went ahead and paid the 7 euro to tour the place. Really interesting. The most famous work in this 13th century convent is an immense altar - the Issenheim Altarpiece. This was created between 1512-1516 and it believed to have miraculous healing powers.


I walked the streets for a little while - but then took a train to Strasbourg, France. This city is worth visiting - especially in the fall. It has this river running through the town with trees lining each side. The leaves were just about at perfect autumn color. See picture. There were tons of shopping streets with tourists and locals alike. Very nice atmosphere.


One of the calling cards of Strasbourg is the Cathedral of Notre Dame. This place was amazing. You could walk in for a free tour. It definitely reminded me of Notre Dame in Paris. The inside configuration is nearly identical. Construction of this cathedral began in the 12th century and was completed in 1439. It stands 466-ft tall - making it one of the tallest buildings in the Christian world. The place towers over the town.


Caught the next train and headed back to Baden-Baden. I'm just finishing up here as the clock is striking midnight. Tomorrow is a 'special day'. I've specifically waited until tomorow to take in some of the sites in Baden-Baden proper.


Until then - keep the faith.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the birthday wishes Kyle! It was a beautiful fall day in Bloomsdale! Dan sent me flowers at work. My mom made homemade chicken and dumplings and strawberry pie for supper. My kids made me cards and gave me extra kisses. It was a great day! I'm not sure what time it is there now. It's 9:30 pm here, so midnight may be passed in Germany...I don't quite get the whole time change thing...whatever time it is there, I hope you have a great birthday "tomorrow." I can't wait to see where you spend your "special day." Dan says happy birthday too. He also wanted me to tell you to look us up the next time you are in Bloomsdale so we can get together. God bless and safe travels!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete