Monday, October 4, 2010

Day #204 - Heidelberg, Germany

Schloss Castle - high on the hill

Schloss Castle

Looking down onto the town of Heidelberg from Schloss Castle


Town Square



Walking onto the bridge


Unique bridges

Monday, October 4th


Today I checked out of my place in Frankfurt and headed south - my eventual destination for tonight was Baden-Baden, Germany. On the way, I decided to stop by the town of Heidelberg.


Why Heidelberg? Well, for starters, it's the name of a cool restaurant/bar in Columbia, MO that I frequented while I was in college. Secondly, it's home to maybe the most famous castle in Germany - the Schloss.


I got into town about midday. I got a locker at the main train station and stuffed my gear inside. This left me completely mobile. Not every station offers this in Europe, but it's a really nice option when you can find it. It's only a couple euro for 4 hours. I've been really trying to eliminate hotel changes if possible (and doing daytrips); therefore, I haven't been looking for lockers. I would expect most stations in Germany to have this option if needed. Switzerland is also very good about this.


I took out walking. This town is fantastic. It's an incredible small town. People walking the streets along the river, interesting bridges, and this huge castle overlooking the city.


I need to clear something up here --------I was thinking today - I'm starting to get on my own nerves by saying everything is good. But, I can't help it. For the most part -- things have been really good on the trip. Being in a stress-free environment has played into this. I'm trying to stay positive; however, I would not say something is great if it wasn't. I would basically give a fair, honest take or I'd say very little if I wasn't a big fan. Travel means something different to each person. Some might like a place - some may not. I can't very well sit here and say I hate "X" country. When, there might be somebody planning a trip to this place right now. Other examples -- it's never good to say you hate a 'person's name' or a 'city'. Next thing you know - you find out your cousin just moved to the city you hate and has a kid on the way whose name will be the very same you just ripped on over Easter. Playing politian here - but sometimes you have to. If someone asks you: "How do I look tonight." Have you ever answered: "Well, quite frankly, you're hideous. Let's go somewhere dark so nobody can see me with you". I'm pretty sure that may not go over well.


Continuing with my walk-about in Heidelberg. I decided to climb to the top of this huge hill and see the castle. I've been pretty lame lately - running on treadmills and level ground. This brought the heart rate up today. I liked it alot. Once I got to the top, it was worth it. You could look out over the river and the town below.


The Schloss is a castle in ruins. It was built between 1400 and 1620, only to be destroyed by the French in 1689. Mark Twain once wrote this about the castle: "the Lear of inanimate nature - deserted, discrowned, beaten by the storms, but royal still, and beautiful."


I meandered around town and headed back to the train station. I took the next train into the town of Baden-Baden, Germany. This will be my home base for the next few days. At this point, I still don't know what I will be doing. I'm in a strategic position however. I'm in the southwest corner of Germany - very close to France and Switzerland -- literally an hour train to either destination. Oh - the other thing about Baden-Baden -- it's a great start point to the Black Forest and the thermal bath/sauna capital of Germany.


We'll see what the next few days bring -- I'm literally going to get up tomorrow, and, wherever I walk - that's where I'll be.

1 comment:

  1. We spent two nights in the Black Forest area back in the year 2000. We took a day trip to Titisee and hiked in the forest in back of our hotel. Good memories! Also, my dad's biological ancestors were from the Baden-Baden area so you should feel very connected there! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete