Friday, October 8, 2010

Day #208 - Baden-Baden, Germany

An ex-Lakeville, MN linebacker and myself





Rick, Dagmar, and myself


Baden-Baden



Historic building




Baden-Baden - central square


Friday, October 8th



Happy Birthday to Julie today! Hope you're having a great one in STL! Thanks for the birthday wishes and all the supportive comments.



Today was really relaxing. Slept in, went over to the pool for a couple hours, and just walked along the streets of Baden-Baden until late afternoon. What a perfect town! I've covered this - but it's worth repeating.



Then, tonight, I had a little something special in the works. My friend Jan from Minneapolis, who was incredible enough to set me up with a nice family in Sweden for a couple days, has once again exceeded the limits of greatness. Another one of her former exchange students lives in Baden-Baden. I've been communicating with Rick for a couple days. Tonight - Rick and his wife (Dagmar) invited me over to their house for dinner.



How cool is this to continue to meet up with people in different countries? The answer - very cool. I was waiting outside my hotel about 6pm when Rick showed up. No vehicle. They live just a short walk from my hotel - nice and convenient.



I actually ran by their house yesterday as it sits stop a hillside looking over Baden-Baden. What a fantastic couple. If you're reading this guys - "Thanks again for the dinner and your warm hospitality." We had a wonderful night. Awesome dinner, some nice wine, and interesting conversation. We had so much in common, as they also enjoy travelling and participating in outdoor activites. We sat at their computer and looked at each other's travel pictures for a couple hours. They gave me some insite into several of the areas I'll be visiting in the next 2-1/2 months. They told me how great the weather has been lately. Sometimes, October can bring rain and cold in Germany. (Not unsimilar to the states). I continue to get lucky. I did have that 5-6 day period of rain in Berlin through Frankfurt - but it's been 60 deg and sunshine the rest of the way.



I'm back in the hotel now, packing up to leave Germany tomorrow for Zurich, Switzerland. I plan to come back here for a few days during the Christmas season before heading home to the states. Even without a return visit - I leave Germany with these memories: Octoberfest, Munich, Passion Play in Oberammergau, Berlin Wall, Berlin Marathon, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Cologne, Rhine River Valley, Heidelberg, Black Forest, Baden-Baden. We discussed this tonight at dinner - about the only thing Germany is missing is the ocean. But - a short flight in almost any direction will get you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment