Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day #214 - Vienna, Austria

Maria Theresien Platz

Kunsthistorisches Museum (I think - looks same as Naturhistorisches Museum)

The Hofburg


Steeple of the Rathaus



Votiv Kirche


Thursday, October 14th


Today I started with a 2-1/2 hour train ride to the capital of Austria - Vienna. It's located in the far east of the country - close to the borders of the Czech Republic and Slovakia. I hadn't booked a hotel prior to my arrival - so I settled into a McDonalds and found a spot nearby my location.


Now, this place is big - 2.3 million people within the metropolis. Vienna makes up 25% of Austria's population. I've been staying in relatively smaller places in recent weeks - a big change today. Vienna is ranked 10th in population within the European Union. The city is often times voted at the very tops in the world with consideration to "The Top Cities for Quality of Life".


I spent several hours walking around the city today - but didn't concentrate on any one area. Vienna is known as an art and culture mecca. It's the last great capital of the 19th century "ball'. There are over 200 significant "balls" each year - with the most famous being the Opera Ball. The Opera Ball has been held since 1936 and takes place in the Vienna State Opera on the Thursday preceding Ash Wednesday. What I gather, this is a big-time event for the elites of the Austrian society. I read that there have been some protests in recent years - resulting in some violence.


Today I saw some of the awesome museums and palaces: the Hofburg (official residence of the president of Austria), the Kunsthistorisches Museum (museum of art history), the Naturhistorisches Museum (museum of natural history), the Rathaus (serves as the seat for the mayor and city council of Vienna), and the Votiv Kirche (one of the most important neo-Gothic religious architectural sites in the world)


I will be staying in Vienna the next 3 nights - departing the morning of October 17th. I do plan on a couple day trips but should have more time to explore the city. I hope so - as there's much I have not yet covered.


Good night from Europe - here's to health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment