Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day #221 - Dubrovnik to St. Louis, Missouri

Thursday, October 21st

Sorry guys on the lack of postings the past couple days. My journey continues to be just that - a journey. I'm coming to you live from St. Louis, Missouri.

The day after my birthday (October 8th), my dad went into the hospital with a leg infection. The infection got worse and my dad was in the hospital for several days. Things were beginning to get better. I'd been trying to monitor the situation from afar, but could provide little support from my position overseas. On Wednesday night when I got into my hotel room in Dubrovnik, I checked my emails to find out that my dad had developed a pulmonary embolism. Perhaps due to his extended bedrest and overall health issues, he had thrown a blod clot to his lungs. Luckily, he pulled through the event and had been transferred to Barnes Hospital in St. Louis for further monitoring. In the words of the doctor: "It's a miracle that he is still with us today"

There's been alot going on back in the states. So much stress - so much pressure on my whole family. My sister is moving to Minnesota this weekend, my other sister just started a new job 2 weeks ago, my brother is constantly travelling with his work and my mom is trying to get back/forth from the hospital.

My family needs me, my dad's condition is uncertain --- therefore, while talking to my sister and mom via Skype on Wedensday night, I made a plane reservation to return to St. Louis on Thursday. For the second time on my trip, I booked a return flight to the states with a departing time 12 hours from the time of my booking.

On Thursday morning, I took a flight out of Dubrovnik - departing at 12:10pm and arriving in Frankfurt, Germany at 2:30pm. I then took a second flight from Frankfurt to Chicago, IL departing at 5:30pm and arriving in Chicago at 7:50pm (still Thursday night). With no late flights avaialble, I stayed overnight near the O'Hare airport and took the first morning flight into St. Louis arriving at 8am.

I guess you could say that I hit the ground running. It's currently Sunday afternoon - I'm sitting in my dad's hospital room at Barnes with my mom. They have Wi-Fi, so I decided to pull up my computer and check in.

My dad is doing OK right now. He seems to have good days and then bad days. When I got here on Friday, things seemed to be going better. Yesterday was a terrible day - as his blood pressure dropped dangerously low. Numberous tests later, some fluids, and blood pressure medication - he's back in a stable condition today.

Anyway - I really don't know what's going to happen right now. If things stabilize here, I would return to Athens next Friday, October 29th and continue on with my journey. I'll continue to provide updates (but will not likely provide daily posts until I return to Europe)

In the meantime, thanks for your prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment