Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day #9 - Killarney, Ireland




Tuesday, March 23
Today was a very good day. Not because of the spectacular sites I saw or places I visited, but because I'm evolving - learning new things.

I took a 2-hour train ride out of Cork to Killarney, Ireland. I spent most of the day in the Killarney National Park. It was a good hiking day - checking out the sites. It wouldn't rank as one of the best National Parks I've been to (as I've seen many, many) - but it was different - so cool.

What I'm most fired up for is the following:
(1) One of my buddies who lives in North Carolina is originally from Ireland. I've been in touch with his sister while over here. I'm going to meet her and her husband this Saturday in a town near Galway, Ireland. We're going to the house where my buddy grew up for dinner with his parents. I'll stay there on Saturday and hang with them on Sunday. Fired up. I actually met them at a half marathon in Virginia Beach in 2007. Their great people and I look forward to this very much.

(2) I'm staying in my first hostel tonight. I'm paying 24 euro total for 2 nights - which roughly equates to about $15/night. I've paid more for a beer before. Outstanding. I've progressed from $99 in Paris, to $85 in Dublin, to $58 in Cork, to $15 in Killarney. Strive for the best. I'm convinced I can do this trip without paying more than $100/night for a hotel. Granted, the Paris and Dublin hotels exceeded $100 with taxes, but the room rates were lower. My room consist of a 4 ft x 8ft rectangle with 1 bunk bed (see picture). It's actually a private room - so I have this beauty to myself. I wanted to go with the private room (shared bathroom) to start my hostel experience - then we'll see where it goes.

(3) I've come to the realization that I will not be able to do all 402 items in my "1,000 Things Book" Not because I'm a slacker and can't do it, but just because it's the smart thing to do. I follow the Colin Cowherd (ESPN) rule of thought that if you say something out loud and it doesn't sound right, then you probably shouldn't do it. Figuring my plans today, it was clear that I would need to spend an entire day, going from train to bus, train to bus, to get to a remote restaurant listed in the book. This would cost roughly $50 euro to make it happen. Say it out loud - this is just not a smart move. I'm a person who makes goals, strives for them, and doesn't easily back down. In this instance, I don't feel like I'm compromising my principles. I will still use my book and do most all items, but logistically, some of the restaurants and hotels in these obscure towns, are just not doable. Not to mention that I'm not a big restaruant or hotel guy. Open-mind - keep an open-mind. I'm with it - I can still have an open-mind and not go to all these hotels. It's clear that the author of this "1,000 Things Book" is fascinated by a great dinner and a warm place to sleep at night. It says as much in the book. That's great - I can appreciate that and fully respect this. It's not for me, however. AND - I'm good with it. Even though this statement may sound insignificant, it might be the most important realization I come to during this trip. The book will be a guideline - not the end-all.

(4) I'm understanding the importance of sleep and nutrition. Travelling solo offers many advantages - you can come and go when you want and you're not running into conflicts or drama with travel partners. The one key disadvantage to solo travelling is keeping yourself energized and fired up. I'm a pretty good self motivator and self-starter - but it's defintley hard on a trip like this to keep your game at a high level. Last night I got 8 solid hours of sleep from 10pm to 6am. I got up and ran 4 miles and then ate good breafast before heading out. Again, this may sound simple, but for survival - it's even more important than in your normal life. When I was running this morning, I didn't even make it the 4 miles - I just felt weak. I've probably cut 5+lbs since starting the trip (which is great and I could do another 5lbs) - it's important that I remain strong. When you're depending upon only yourself to make it happen - it's critical to be on your game.

(5) If you look good, you feel good. So, I hadn't shaved for 10+ days until this morning. I was looking at myself in the mirror saying: "Who's that scrub" I can pull off the 3-5 day no-shave look (I actually prefer it), but not the 10+ day look. You get the clue when people are hesitant to talk with you because you look like you're homeless. I was doing a little too well with the -- "dumb down look so you don't become a target". People were handing me money - literally - the lady at the front desk gave me 2 euro to catch the bus because I didn't have change.

(6) Just wear a rain jacket when you leave in the morning. Even if you watch the weather and thoughts run through your mind: "Man, I don't think I need that jacket today" Don't give in - just wear the jacket.

Sorry for the detour from the traditional blog today - but I had some things I needed to get down on paper. Tomorrow I'm doing a really cool tour called the Ring of Kerry.

3 comments:

  1. Dude,
    You are cracking me up! All very good points. I particularly like #6 since we chatted about that briefly the other day. Like the girl scouts/boy scouts...always be prepared. I'm excited you will get to hang out with your buddy's family. #3 is solid as well. No need to be crazy about it all...anyway, I think you may be able to write your own "1000 things to see and do" book. I may be learning more about you from this blog than the previous 37 years. I have a feeling the same holds true for you. Take care of yourself!

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7 Talk to as many people as you can. Things and places are cool, but people are facinating. I am disappointed about 1 thing: I was really looking forward to the braided beard at Christmas, but I totally understand. I think it is kinda like the advice my dentist gives the girls: the better your teeth look, the cuter your boyfriend will be. Translation, everyone is more attracted to a pretty smile.
    Glad to hear you are focused on staying healthy. Mom will be thrilled. Eat up! I think you have two book opportunities in your future. Publishing this blog is one, and "foods of the world" is the second. Think about it. We love you. Be safe. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your #3 comment is totally "right on". I know people say you have to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, but Steve & I were happy with seeing it everyday for a week! : ) Glad you're learning what works best for you. I chuckled at your decreasing room costs - way to go! The hostel looks great! I think it's so interesting that you are meeting up with the family of a US friend and I know they will be anxious to share stories with you.

    ReplyDelete