Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day #6 - Six Nation Rugby Match - Ireland vs. Scotland





Saturday, March 20th

I went to a big-time rugby match today. The six nation series is between Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland, France, and Italy. Over 80,000 fans were in attendance. I went a little early and did some tailgating. Met a nice couple from Dublin and we talked a little while. Turns out that rugby is considered to be a gentlemen's sport. Even though it's probably one of the toughest physical sports you could ever play, it's not as hard-core as soccer events (so I'm told).

Scotland ended up winning 23-20, but it was a great game to see. I compare the atmosphere to a major college football game, at night. The crowd is into it - singing, etc. No alcohol allowed in the stadium, only out in the corridors and outside. I think alot of people came early for a little pregame festivity. I don't know all the rules, but I was getting close to understanding. I was the guy who was asking the people around me: "Why did that happen" or "What are they doing now". I'm ok with looking dumb - it's a tough sport to grasp. One of the oddest things that I found was that every time one of the players (from either team), would be ready to kick a field goal, the entire stadium became completely silent. And I mean completely. If someone yelled something from the first row - you could have heard it from the upper deck. I've never heard 80,000 people become that silent. Usually, the home team may have fans go silent, but the away team would not get the same privilege.

After the game, I took in a couple pints at one of the many pubs. The weather was awesome today. The city was electric, energetic, and filled with people. It reminded me of Paddy's Day somewhat.

I've spent 4 full days in Dublin now. I think I have literally walked every inch of the city. Great place to visit.

3 comments:

  1. We had a rugby team at SIU-C. The games were always a great time. They had kegs on the sideline, but they also always had an ambulance and EMT's at each game just in case two guys knocked heads or there was a broken bone. We would almost get into a pickup game sometime over the game weekend. All the rugby players I knew were pretty hard partiers - gentlemen yes, most of the time, but they could get crazy. looks like you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is better than any tv. What interesting foods have you tried? A. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle,
    Sorry I arrived a little late to the blog party,
    but computerly challenged as I am, I'm along for the ride!
    Also I was one one of those rugby nuts at SIU for a couple of years...my ears still hurt from all the pulling.
    Great stuff..stay safe!! Tom

    ReplyDelete