Monday, March 22, 2010

Day #8 - Kinsale, Ireland & Ballymaloe House




Monday, March 22

I took 2 separate bus trips today out of Cork. I first went to a small town on the very southern coast of Ireland called Kinsale. It was about a 40 minute bus ride. This is just a little out of the way place. It's known as the culinary capital of Ireland - home to the Kinsale International Gourmet Food Festival. I just took time and walked around the cobblestone streets. It was a neat little town. Many of the buildings were oddly colored - orange, purple, etc. I relaxed in a cafe drinking some coffee and reading a book. I finished the book - "First Family" from David Baldacci. Excellent - I would recommend it. If you like mystery, action type novels - this is for you. He's a good author and I've read a couple of his books now.

I took an afternoon busride to visit The Ballymaloe House. This is a restaurant in the countryside. The best part was actually getting there. This was one of the first times I got to see the Irish countryside in good weather. Sheep farms, small cottages - etc. The daughter of the women who started the Ballymaloe House runs the country's first and most important cooking school. Ballymaloe means "place of honey" in Gaelic -- the restaurant goes for the elegant but very welcoming type atmosphere.

Heading to Killarney early tomorrrow. Need some warm weather and all-day sunshine.

1 comment:

  1. The country side looks beautiful. We are enjoying your narrative very much! Keep it coming. Kelly

    ReplyDelete