Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day #5 - St. Patrick's Cathedral & Bloomsday




Friday, March 19th
Admittedly, today was a relaxing slow day for me. I slept in late because I was up to the early morning hours on Thursday doing some planning. I'm now leaving Sunday morning for out-country Ireland.

After getting going, I hit the hotel gym and then went back into Dublin. I've never run on a treadmill recording in kilometers. I first was like: "Wow, I'm flying today" Then - I realize I was actually running pretty slow in comparison to normal. A 10K is equivalent to 6.2 miles; therefore, the kilometers go by pretty quick on a treadmill.

I went to St. Patrick's Cathedral. It was a full block of the city. There is a nice garden-like area outfront with a water statue in the middle. The cathedral is larger than the Dublin Castle. There's alot of St. Patrick stuff in this city (wouldn't you believe). Just down the road is St. Patrick Hospital and St. Patrick Holy Well.

I also went by the James Joyce Center to check out the Bloomsday exhibit. James Joyce is an Irish novelist who wrote a book called Ulysses - depicting the single memorable day in the life of Leopold Bloom (Irishman from Dublin). The actual day of the events is on June 16th. Hence, this day is celebrated each year as Bloomsday.

I almost bought the Ulysses book - but it was too big for my backpack. This must be one powerful book. What I understand, due to the writings of this novel, their is a day celebrated each year in the city, there is a statue of James Joyce in a prominent area in Dublin, they have a center which details every aspect of the book, and there is a 10 day celebration around Bloomsday each year where people walk every step of the way Leopold Bloom walked in the novel. Wow - now that must be one impressive book.

I then met up with a ticket broker and purchased tickets to the Ireland versus Scotland rugby match on Saturday night. This is a 6-nation match --- a very popular sporting event in Ireland. I also got my train tickets worked out. I purchased a 15 day pass for complete travel throughout Ireland. This includes all trains and buses. It was 245 euro (I didn't think this was too bad). You can only travel; however, 8 of the 15 days. That's OK though, I'll be staying in some spots for a couple days.
Note - when coming to Europe, it's best to get your Euroail pass ahead of time. I thought I would be able to go to the stations and buy on site. This was not happening. Therefore, I had to buy this Ireland-only pass for now and have the Eurail pass sent to Ireland station for me. Not a big deal because the Irish pass worked out great - but something to consider. They told me it used to be different, that all Eurail passes could be purchased at station. They even had info booths set up in past to help people get around Europe. The Eurail pass is a pass that can be purchased (up to 3 months) for complete travel throughout any of 21 countries in Europe. If you're planning to go everywhere - it's a really good deal.

I ended the day watching the MU versus Clemson basketball game on my computer. I'm going through sports withdrawal over here. It's soccer and rugby - that's pretty much it. This is the first time I have not filled out an NCAA Final Four bracket in probably 30 years. It's probably for the best. I would have picked the Chickenhawks to win it all - and then I would have a cheering dilemma on my hands. Congrats to MU - and good luck versus West Virginia.

On to Saturday and the Irish/Scotland rugby match - fired up.

1 comment:

  1. Keep an eye on those crazy rugby hooligans, or do they stick to soccer? (okay .... football where you are) I have a sneaking suspicion you are going to like the intensity of rugby.

    M-I-Z ...

    Keith

    ReplyDelete