Monday, March 15, 2010

Day #1 - Paris

Monday, March 15th

Well, let's get this party started. It's 3pm on Monday, March 15th and I just checked into my hotel in Paris. I'm currently running on adrenaline only. I drove from Minneapolis to Bloomsdale on Saturday for 10 hours. I stayed up until 2am (time change helped) to complete packing. Got up at 6am on Sunday for 7am mass. Flew out at 3:30pm on Sunday afternoon. I connected through Atlanta to Paris. I got a litttle sleep on the plane rides - but not much.

So far so good. I have 1 pack that has everything. I'd say it goes 50+ pounds. I booked a hotel room on Saturday night off travelocity - a 3-star for $90. It's not bad, but very basic. It appears to be in a pretty good location. I do not feel threatened walking around. I took 3 different trains to get to the hotel - 8.50 euros. The info booth told me the stop to get out on. When I came to street level I didn't know where to go and street signs weren't availble. I ended up walking around for about an hour with my 50+ pound pack on no sleep.

I'm impressed so far on the kindness of the locals. I went into a cafe and asked for directions and stopped a cabby and he put the hotel address in his GPS for me (and I didn't even take the cab).

Right now - I need to get a couple hours of shut-eye. It's probably not the safest thing for me to be walking aorund half conscious.

Hang with me on these blogs. I realize this one is pretty lame. I promise to make some things happen. Pictures will follow.

2 comments:

  1. Watch out for beautiful French women! I've seen the movies, they prey on young American men...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were impressed with the friendliness of the people, too, Kyle. Now you know you have to spend more time there. Isn't it a great city?

    ReplyDelete