Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day #14 - Ballycroy, Ireland

Lambs - minutes after birth

Atlantic Coastline


Atlantic Coastline



Top of hill view overlooking buddy's farm & Atlantic Ocean

Sunday, March 28th

Today I spent the day on my buddy's farm in Ballycroy, Ireland. They have 180 sheep and 34 heads of cattle to look out for on their land. I had a ton of questions and learned so much about livestock farming. Everyone was so awesome showing me around - I truly felt like I was apart of the family.


Before lunch, I went for a drive with my buddy's dad to go and see the Ceide Fields. This is an area of stone formation that is said to have dated back to the Stone Age. Unfortunately, the entrance to the fields was closed down until April; however, we got to see some unbelievable views of the Atlantic coastline. I think the pictures were even better than The Cliffs of Moher. Outstanding.


After returning to the farm, I went for a hike with one of my buddy's brothers to the top of this hill which overlooks the property. You can see everything - from the ocean to adjacent towns. Wow - what a place to grow up.


Then - before dinner I got to see a lamb being born. That was really cool. This is the time of year for lambing and they have 10 females yet to give birth. I hadn't seen this before and it was very interesting. The hard work required on a livestock farm is nothing short of amazing. I also got to mark the baby lambs. You place numbers on the lambs and the corresponding mother to keep track when their out to pasture.


I didn't do much work on the farm as I was spoiled and treated like a king. What an experience on a true Irish sheep farm.


We had another unbelievable meal and then I was off. I rode with my buddy's brother and sister to a town called Galway, Ireland. New adventures on the docket for tomorrow.







1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe the view! I am so glad you had a chance to experience this real part of Ireland. How awesome! The girls loved the picture of the baby lamb.

    ReplyDelete