Monday, March 30, 2020

Day #18 - AT Hike

Day #18 - AT Hike

Monday, March 30 - Day #18 - AT Hike

Miles Hikes Today - 10.8
Total Miles Hikes on AT - 196.8/2,193 (8.97%)

Stealth camp 2 miles north of Hot Springs (276.9) to Little Paint Creek Trail (287.7)

Total ascent  - 3,342’
Total descent - 2,376’

Total States Completed - 1/14

Coming to you from a semi-stealth campsite near Little Paint Creek Trail.  It’s an established camping area - just nobody is here. Instead of always trying to go by the shelter locations - I’m starting to feel more comfortable using other camp sites. In this way - I can control distances better for me. I can stop when I’m tired or go more if I have a few more miles left in me.

Tomorrow will be another big milestone - as I eclipse 200-miles on the AT. I won’t be seeing anything in rocks to mark the occasion.  I will; however, likely see the 300-mile marker (because of my 90.9 mile jump ahead). I can’t wait to go back to the Smokies so things can be on track again.

Today I did 10.8 miles - but 3,342’ in ascent. I’m setting myself up to get into Erwin, TN on Friday. If I tried to make this in 4-days — it was just going to be too much with the big hills still in Carolina/Tennessee. I’ll do it in 5 days of (11, 14, 16, 13, 14) miles respectively. Once I get out of the bigger mountains I know I can push more miles. Just trying to conserve and be smart about this.

I’m full-on mountain man at this point.  I don’t have tons of TP left (none in Hot Springs and they had no public restrooms) - so I’m blowing my nose with leaves.  Today I had to dig my first cathole of the trip.  That’s pretty good - been able to get by with privies to this point. Doing OK otherwise. I figure I’ll only get my haircut twice on the trip - after 2-months each. Shaving - I’ve shaved once in Hot Springs. I figure I’ll shave when I get to towns if hotels open up - estimated I’ll shave around 10 times in the 5-month period.

I saw only a couple people on trail today.  Jello and Yard Sale are in front of me and my whole Tramily is behind me.  They were getting boxes at the Post Office in Hot Springs this morning and must have had a shorter day.

Tomorrow I’ve been told that rain and bad weather will move into the area for a couple days. I have nearly 4,000’ vertical and 14 miles tomorrow. I’m hoping to get an early start before the trail conditions become too dangerous.

Feeling a bit lonely tonight. I’d like to hang more with folks on the trail - but trying to stay with 10 people is crazy. Going on a trip with 4 people is sometimes challenging - 10 is asking for a disaster.  I see people breaking into small groups all around. It’s inevitable - somebody is hurt, somebody is too fast, somebody is lazy, etc.  I’ll find a group yet - but I’m not going to force it - I’ll let it come naturally. Interesting — this has been my approach to relationships - how’s that working out for me.

I’m taking things in segments now. I’m establishing a resupply location - then getting a plan on how many days to attack it.  I’m currently on a 5-day run into Erwin, TN. Tomorrow’s my 2/5 day.  Small blocks - a little bit at a time.  I’m almost up to 10% complete  on the trip. Sounds small - but double digits are going to be nice to see.

Bedtime early for me. It’s not even 6pm yet. Good night from the Mountains!

Really nice day today - cooler than past few days

Nice pond on trail


1 comment: