Sunday, March 15, 2020

Day #2 - AT Hike

Day #2 - Saturday, March 14

Miles Hiked Today - 10.3
Miles Hiked on AT Today - 2.8
Total Miles on AT - 2.8/2,193
Amicalola Lodge to Stover Creek Shelter (camp at Stover Creek Shelter)
Total ascent- 2,423’
Total descent- 2,113’

It’s real now - VERY, VERY real. It’s 3pm on Saturday afternoon. I’m currently in my tent - listening to the rain drops pattering against the rain fly of my Big Agnes tent.  I’m at the Stover Creek Shelter - 2.8 miles on the AT. That’s correct - positive mileage was obtained today on the AT.  I’ve been listing “miles hiked today” and “miles hiked on AT today” because the numbers differed due to the Approach Trail. From this point forward - all miles hiked will be AT miles hiked.  I like the sound of that

Pretty solid day. 10.3 total miles. The day started with breakfast at 7am with Liam & Kim.  It was pitch black at that time outside. Sunrise was around 7:45am.  After “my last Supper & Breakfast” at this cushy Lodge - we were headed out to face the elements

We hiked the 7.5 miles to the top of Springer Mountain - the official start of the AT. Great conversation made the miles pass quickly. We got to the top of Springer at 11:15am. We took a bunch of pictures and signed the registry.  I thanked Liam & Kim for joining me and giving me the inspirational boost.  After we parted ways - I walked the 2.8 miles to my destination tonight.  I kept thinking about the song “Dirt Road” by Sawyer Brown. It means a lot to me - pull it up and give a listen.

Now - coming into this hike, I firmly believe that this journey will only be accomplished with a strong mental game. 20% physical - 80% mental.  That’s what I’d estimate as requirements. Today introduced one of the elements that people fear most on the AT - cold, muddy, nasty, ‘why are you doing this to me’ —- RAIN.  It’s about 50 degrees with a pretty steady rain coming down now. Even though the temptation to stay in the shelter (that’s only 20 yards away) exists - I’m going tent for now. Why tent?  Probably warmer (shelter is only 3-sides), more peaceful (there’s probably about 10 people in the shelter tonight), no mice eating food, more privacy, no snoring, etc.  All good on the social aspect - I just had snacks with Maddy, Everett, and Triple B - talking about the days events. But I don’t have to stay out there if I don’t want to.  Side note - no trail name yet.

Getting into camp at 2pm offers a lot  of time until the next morning. To give you a feel for the camp chores:

1. Water — 1/2 mile from the shelter today, I stopped at a stream for water.  I filled up my 2L CNoc bag (orange). Then - I filtered this bag through my Sawyer Squeeze filter into my clean 2L CNoc bag (blue). I then added Aquamira drops into the filtered bag - just as a second means of water treatment. I then filled up the dirty bag again. I walked away with 4L from the water source (2 clean and 2 for treatment later). When I got to camp, I was able to fill my 1-L Smart water bottle with clean water and will use the rest for dinner and tea later. Before bed - I plan to filter the dirty 2L into my clean bag for water tomorrow morning. I will have drank 3L of water on trail today - plus the water I had at breakfast this morning.  In hotter weather - this amount will go up I’m sure

2. Tent - when I got into camp (after talking a bit to everybody in the shelter) - I found the best spot for my tent and set things up. I’m using a footprint below the tent to help against water pooling, the tent itself, and then the rain fly.

3. Food - After setting up the tent, I went back to the shelter and had a Met-Rx bar, some fig newtons, and some fruit snacks.  I plan to make my dinner around 5:30pm or so. I have a Backpacker Mountain House meal - I’m thinking lasagna tonight.   I’ll cap this off with a hot tea and some more fruit snacks.

4. Clean Up / Change Clothes - I’m actually waiting on this. I was hoping it would stop raining (no luck yet). I’m dry and warm in my tent (I had rain gear on most of the day).  I’ll walk down to water a bit later with my camp towel to do a rinse off. I also have some wet wipes for more particular needs. I’ll wait to change into my warm sleeping clothes until I know I’m in for the night

5. Bathroom - they actually have a privy (outhouse) here — so living the high life right now

7pm - Shelter life on the AT is going to be really interesting.  If you are an extremely extroverted person - this place would be like a gold mine. We got a 20 year navy vet pretty much lighting it up out there.  I like to slowly engage - but it’s going to be fun.  Everett, Maddy, Kristen, and Steve are all headed to the same shelter as me tomorrow.  We’re not “Friends forever 91” yet - so no plans to walk together just yet.  I have no clue of their pace

Goodnight from the road less traveled!

         
                   
Liam & Kim atop Springer

Appalachian guy

Shelter Life

Start of AT - it’s all me now

The Road to Nowhere 

Bear box at camp

My home

Liam & me

Sign atop Springer 

Liam, Kim & I

2 comments: