Sunday, March 22, 2020

Day #9 - AT Hike

Saturday, March 21 - Day #9 - AT Hike

Total Miles Hiked Today - 16.3
Total Miles on AT - 102.2/2,193 (4.66%)
Standing Indian Shelter to Long Branch Shelter (tent at Long Branch Shelter)
Total Ascent - 2,998’  
Total descent - 3,247’
Total States Completed - 1/14

Coming to you live from my tent at the Long Branch Shelter - Mile #102.2 on the AT Trail.  Another milestone today - I went over 100 miles. I remember seeing on videos leading into the hike how the trail would usually have the 100 mile markers in rocks (see picture).  I called my mom on FaceTime so she could walk the last 0.3 miles with me.

Today was my best day yet on the trail. The weather was absolutely beautiful!  Temperatures in the 50-60’s. Perfect blue skies with puffy white clouds. No wind. Trail conditions were pristine. It was really enjoyable and peaceful walking out there. The feeling I felt today is what I thought hiking the AT Trail would be like. Sometimes you have to go through struggles to truly appreciate the really good days. I’m thankful to have the opportunity to be here.

I’m building more confidence with distances as well. 16.3 miles today - around 3,000’ ascent. Right before the 100 mile mark - we had to climb Albert Mountain (5,213’). This was basically a bouldering scramble. Crazy!  This would have been difficult without a pack. With the pack - I really had to make sure I didn’t tip over backwards. The scenery at the top was amazing however - well worth it.

I’m excited for my Nero-Zero starting tomorrow. I’ll hike 7.2 miles to Winding Stairs Gap and then take a shuttle into Franklin, NC. The goals:  eat heartily, shower excessively, do laundry proudly, stretch persistently, ice body prudently, and sleep unconsciously.  I’ve never been more fired up to go lay in a hotel room my whole life.

Feeling thankful and blessed today!

There you go Carolina!!!

Top of Albert Mountain

Yessir!!

Long Branch Shelter - 2-story

100-mile marker in leaves

That’s what I’m out here to see!!

Me atop Albert Mountain

Really pristine trail conditions

Can’t help but posting more picks!

Pretty solid trail conditions 

Sign atop Albert Mountain

Ladder to 2nd level of shelter

Early morning - generally best time of my day

Baby Blue was the color of her eyes - thanks Mr. George Strait

Long Branch Shelter

Carolina Blue!

Nice trail

See the setup for someone sleeping in shelter

Tower atop Albert Mountain 

100-mile marker in sticks

No comments:

Post a Comment