Thursday, March 26, 2020

Day # 14 - AT Hike

Thursday, March 26 - Day #14 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 14.7
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 150.6/2,193 (6.87%)
Rufus Morgan Shelter to Stecoah Gap (tent 1/2 mile from Stecoah Gap)
Total ascent - 4,642’
Total descent - 3,658’
Total States Completed - 1/14

Well - I’m currently in my tent. It’s 9pm. This is the first time I’m stealth camping - meaning I’m not at a shelter location or specified tent spot.  I’m 1/2 mile away from Stecoah Gap - just off the AT Trail. The reason - another curveball was thrown at me today. Toward the end of the day - when I had just 2.5 miles left to my shelter for the night - I ran into 2 different families at Stecoah Gap.  There was Trail Magic left on the picnic table by the Robbinsville Methodist Church at this location.  Nobody was there from the organization  - just baggies filled with peanut butter crackers and granola bars and a note. Awesome!!!  It was a BIG climbing day - so I only got to Stecoah Gap around 5pm. I was taking a break and these folks showed up. They were there to take their 2 boys around the Smokies and start again at Standing Bear Farm (Mile # 241). Their boys just showed up - they must have been behind me most of the day (but I never saw them). Anyway - word now is - the roads into Fontana Dam are closing tomorrow. Meaning - my bypass shuttle set for Saturday morning - now needs to move up a day. So - I called my driver. She had a time available tomorrow at 8:30am from Stecoah Gap. So - I’m bypassing the Smokies tomorrow. Only difference - when I come back to make up the miles - there will be more miles because I’ll still need to walk from Stecoah Gap to Fontana Dam - and then do the Smokies.

All of this is resulting from Covid-19. Things are changing by the minute here. It’s hard to keep up. You hear so much chatter on the trail - but alot is hearsay. The families I spoke with seem to be in the know. One lady works in Fontana Dam and confirmed the road closing piece. Who knows. I just think it’s best for me to get out of this area and head north. The goal will be to make it to Hot Springs, NC at Mile 274 after a couple days hiking from Standing Bear. I’ll hope to get a hotel room - then reevaluate everything.

Today was one of my toughest hiking days yet. 4,642’ vertical ascent and 14.7 miles. I would have been over 17 miles and 5,000’ vertical if I’d made the shelter I was set to be at tonight. Much of this came right out of the gates this morning with a 3000’ climb out of Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC). I’ve never heard of the NOC - but the AT Trail goes right through it. They have a lodge, restaurant, general store, recreation center, etc.  I knew everything was closed there but the general store. I had enough supplies - so I didn’t even stop. If Covid-19 didn’t exist this year - I would have stayed here last night in the lodge and had burgers/beers at the restaurant.

Well - I don’t have alot in me tonight to elaborate anymore. The worlds a crazy place. Wishing good health and best wishes to everybody out there.  I hope to be coming to you live from a shelter just north of Smokey Mountain National Park tomorrow night.

Well - I wanted an adventure——- an adventure is what I got. Hang with me - I’m trying to keep as positive as possible.

Interesting rocks

AT sign out of the NOC

View from Cheoah Bald

Top of the mountain - Cheoah Bald

NOC

Adventure Center at the NOC - closed

Early morning view

Cheoah Bald marker

Cool AT sign

They have a rafting course at the NOC

Part of AT Trail - over this bridge

Cheoah Bald

NOC - all closed but General Store

NOC

NOC

Me taking a break at Cheoah Bald

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Kyle. A friend says you are so brave.
    If needed, look for a church. They help travelers.

    ReplyDelete