Friday, March 20, 2020

Day #7 - AT Hike

Thursday, March 19th - Day #7 AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 15.9
Total AT Miles Hiked - 73.7/2,193 (3.36%)
Tray Mountain Shelter to Plumorchard Gap Shelter (Tent at Plumorchard Gap Shelter)
Total ascent - 4,047’
Total Descent - 5,230’

Coming to you live from the Plumorchard Gap Shelter at Mile #73.7 on the AT Trail. I’m completely beat right now. 15.9 miles with 4,047’ ascent today. I’m using Guthook to approximate the total ascent and descent.  Because I’m doing this on a cell phone and projecting a line - the numbers aren’t exact (but very close). Any way you look at it - today was tough. The weather was warm as well - the first day I stripped down to a T-shirt. My body struggles with big heat - I’m going to need a ton of water in a few months.  There are plenty of water sources - so it shouldn’t be a problem.

No friends tonight - the gang all went off trail into town.  I had dinner with Chipping Away, Donuts, and Dudeman. I slept pretty good last night (woke up 4/5 times - but still best sleep I’ve gotten in a tent).

Body check:  I’m hanging tough with a few nicks here and there. Some chafing going on, blister on toe, sore right foot, calf tightness, a little shoulder aggravation, and general overall fatigue.  I’m stretching everyday - before, during, and after the hike. Honestly - knock on wood - I’m hanging in there. The continuous steep hills are the killer right now. I’ll go back and add the Total ascent and Total descent to my earlier posts - but coming in over 4,000’ vertical daily with a 30-35 pound pack is challenging for sure. Without all my training leading into this hike with the stairmaster and hills in Colorado — I’d be in a rough place.

I have a 12.4 miler set for tomorrow- but again big hills - set for around 3,600’ ascent. I then have 1 more day before I take a prescheduled Nero-Zero. The goal is to be at 86 miles tomorrow, then 102 miles at the end of Saturday. On Sunday, I’ll only do 7 miles (Nero- near zero) and then go into Franklin, NC. I’ll stay there Sunday and Monday (Zero - no forward miles on AT projected for Monday) and be back on the trail Tuesday AM.  I read about this Nero-Zero thing.  It allows you to do your chores during the afternoon of your Nero and then have a complete day off for your Zero. I’m honestly well above schedule right now. I had projected 80 miles for Week#1 - I’ll have 102 miles.  Tomorrow will be tough even though it’s only 12.4 miles. My Saturday (even though it’s 16+ miles) is a much easier course.

I’m definitely be ready to vegetate for a couple days. The body is certainly telling me this is the case. I got a couple more days in me before Sunday (start of rest). Adding a few photos of the trail today (no captions - just random shots)

Tomorrow I enter North Carolina!!  I’m pretty pumped for this. Hopefully I’ll have an early finish and will have a cell signal and some energy to formulate some thoughts

Good night from Georgia for the last time on this trip!!






No comments:

Post a Comment