Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day #198 - Berlin, Germany

'Berliner Dom' - Berlin Cathedral

Lower left corner was Hitler's room in the Bunker

Memorial for those fallen in war - exposed to the elements via hole in ceiling


Jewish Memorial



Fancy guy in the green signal in former East Berlin


Tuesday, September 28th


Today I didn't do much site-seeing. I got up and ran a 30K (18.6 miles) in the hotel fitness center. It took all I had. I don't know - I'm not feeling the greatest lately with the long runs. I need to do 2 things right away - (1) I need to get new shoes. An average mileage for a pair of running shoes is roughly 300 miles - I think I have long exceeded this number. (2) I need to get proper nutrients to eat during my runs. Trying to get by on scrapes I find at a gas station is not going to work any longer.


I had intentions to go back into Berlin or maybe do a day trip to Hamburg - it just didn't happen. I ended up eating some dinner at the hotel and resting. Sorry for the lame report today.


Tomorrow I head back down toward Munich where I will revisit the hotel I stayed at in Schrobhausen. I ordered my final Eurail pass last week. I had them deliver it to this hotel. Once I grab this tomorrow with a quick overnight - I'll then be heading to the western side of the country to stay in Frankfurt, Germany for a few days. The Rhine River, the Black Forest, Cologne, Heidelburg -- these are all bogeys on the agenda for the next several days.


Here's to a better performance tomorrow. I'm including a few pictures from Berlin taken the past 2 days - I have endless pictures I could post.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself, Kyle . . . even tourists need a day off now and then. The pace you have set must be exhausting so one of these days I hope to see a post where you say "Today I did absolutely nothing!" :)

    ReplyDelete