Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day #189 - Oktoberfest - Munich, Germany

A look down on the fairgrounds

Many people

Bands arbitrarily walk through the crowds


Big party



Huge tents

Sunday, September 19th


Today was a rest day. I probably drank about 4 of those liter mugs yesterday all total - that's probably about 2 more than I should have had.


About mid-day, I decided to go back downtown. I wanted to go back to the Oktoberfest grounds and just walk around and get pictures.


Tons of people again today; however, there didn't seem like as many in the big tents. Yesterday, I didn't even get to walk around inside because the capacity was full and guards were manning each entrance. Today, the doors were open.


Wow - these tents are amazing. I wish I had a big group or knew someone with reservations - it would be fun to hang in the tents for a day. The tables are in the middle of the tent and there is a large walkway around the outside. I went into about 4-5 tents and just took it all in. There was a band in each one - usually elevated - in the center of the floor.


Each tent has it's special calling card. The Hippodom (where I spent yesterday in the Beer Garden) is considered a popular place - a little smaller than the others - where celebrities can be spotted at times. The largest tent is Winzerer Fahndl. Possibly the best tent is Augustiner-Festhalle. This place attracts the locals because it serves their favorite brew - Augustiner - tapped from wooden kegs.


I guess the biggest thing I'll remember about Oktoberfest is the 'good-time spirit'. The guy from Finland was telling me about this on the busride to the fairgrounds yesterday. I wasn't so sure if I could believe it. But - after experiencing the day - I'd concur.


Now, I'll say this - It's not for everybody. You totally have to come in with a good attitude. Crowds, noise, lines, etc - smile and move forward. If you can do that -- it's one of the most unique and fun places you could ever go. My recommendation - "Sign up - just do it"

1 comment:

  1. I was there in spirit! Prost! Isn't that what the German's say when they clang their glasses? I barely remember this from my visit to Munich. Wish I could have joined you.
    KB1

    ReplyDelete