Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day #186 - Prague, Czech Republic

Charles Bridge

Looking north from Charles Bridge

Looking into Old Town Square


A "Pivo" in 2010



A 'Pivo" in 2004

Thursday, September 16th


Happy B-day to my brother Kurt! Thanks for always believing in me and for your continued support.


I REALLY like Prague. I'm not ready to sign-off on my Top 5 cities in Europe list just yet (as I have some great spots upcoming) - but it's going to take some magic to remove Paris and Prague from that list. I'm keeping an open mind - we'll see how it goes.


Today was an extremely relaxing day for me. I spent another 6-7 hours walking around the streets of Prague. I started at the Charles Bridge again. I like to see it at various times of the day because the sun offers different photo opportunities. I'm including a video to help paint the picture. From there, I walked south to the city's oldest and most famous beer hall -- U Fleku. Records show that a license to make beer on this spot dates back to 1499, and the original Budweiser was a Czech beer. This place was filled with long wooden tables and beers were served in large steins. I'm preparing myself for Oktoberfest. Just like training for a marathon - one must train for Oktoberfest as well.


I then walked over to the central rail station and got my ticket to Munich for tomorrow. All is well on that front - I'll be departing at 9:04am on Friday AM. I walked around the Old Town area for quite a while. I came across the Estates Theatre. I didn't realize how many theatres and musical venues are in Prague. My book states that a local proverb asserts: "Whoever is Czech, is a musician".

To my aunt and uncle --- I went by our restaurant spot. I actually passed it yesterday and recognized it immediately. Today, I sat at the same outside table we sat 6 years ago. I'm including a picture from today and a picture from July 2004. The backdrop color has changed - but I think it's the exact spot. The lady couldn't backup because there were cars parked in the way. (wish you were here).


Another interesting thing in Prague is the Infant of Prague statue located in the Church of Our Lady Victorious. It's earliest history can be traced back to 1628 when an exquisite 48 centimeter in height statue of the Infant Jesus was brought into Bohemia. We toured the church back in 04 - it's really an interesting setting.


I continued strolling around the streets. The reason I like this place is simple - the atmosphere, the energy, the historic feel, the ease of getting around, the clean streets, the diversity. I think I like the place better in the fall verses the summer - it's cooler and a little less traffic.


I got back to the hotel, got a quick run in, went downtown for dinner, and am now wrapping up the night in the hotel lobby.


Onward to Germany tomorrow. Bavaria in the fall -- I've always wanted to be there.



2 comments:

  1. Kyle - now we are REALLY jealous! You look like you are having a great time and the pivo is calling our names. Glad you found that same spot and thanks for the photo from '04 - sure brings back some great memories. It appears you found a great spot to "train" for Oktoberfest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! So glad you enjoyed Prague. Looks like the weather was perfect! Enjoy Munich, as well! Where else in Germany are you going?

    Julie Bauer

    ReplyDelete