Friday, September 17, 2010

Day #187 - Prague to Munich, Germany

Friday, September 17th

Today I left Prague via train at 9am and arrived into Munich about 3:30pm. Just about everyone on the train was going to Octoberfest.

I'm staying in the town of Solin, Germany - a southern suburb of Munich. I found this great bed & breakfast that wasn't priced too badly. The leaves are changing colors, the temperatures are mid 60's -- it's just like I had always pictured it in my mind. I plan to spend several days in Germany and will be using Munich as my initial home base. I definitely have many day trips in store - but I have business in the city first.

I'll get more into details tomorrow, but Octoberfest is primarily held in the month of September. It's a 16 day celebration in Munich, which starts on a Saturday in mid/late September and ends on the first Sunday in October.

Tomorrow is the first day. As my cab driver told me: "You won't be alone. You and 5 million of your closest friends will be there to help celebrate". Now, I'm going into this fully aware that I'm 10+ years older than the average person who will be at this event. I'll be going it alone as well. This is all OK - I have my expectations properly set. As I equally enjoy big cities and small towns, I can also enjoy major crowds or time to myself. I've been in Times Square on New Years Eve, Bourbon Street on Fat Tuesday and Pamplona during Running of the Bulls - I'm ready.

Getting off the train, a group of 10 people I'd say, all busted out a 12-pack of beer. They popped the top and toasted each other. A classic move. If anything else, tomorrow should be a great people-watching day.

I'm calling it an early night. I plan to get up early and do my long run before heading into town. "Work hard, play hard"

1 comment:

  1. This morning on NPR I hear a story that this is the first year the Octoberfest will be smoke free (there is now smoking ban in Bavaria) and then I think - "Hey - my brother-in-law is there!". Very cool. Have one for us Kyle!

    Keith

    ReplyDelete