Monday, March 7, 2022

Day #9 - Everest BaseCamp

 Day #9 - Everest BaseCamp 


Sunday, February 27, 2022


Itinerary:   Tyangboche to Dingboche

Elevation:   12,664’ to 14,042’


It’s 4pm - I’m currently sitting in the lounge of the Dingboche Resort in Dingboche - at an elevation of 14,042’.   I’m 3,558’ from Everest BaseCamp.  


I’ve been to this elevation a number of times - having completed 18-14er’s in Colorado, Mt. Whitney in California, and Kilimanjaro in Africa.   However - I’ve only slept at this elevation on one occasion- when I climbed Kilimanjaro.  


I’m feeling pretty good right now - no headache and body feels fine.   I’m still not out of the woods yet.  Altitude sickness can come along at any time.  The good thing - I still haven’t started my Diamox medication - so this can be taken at any point to offset headaches/symptoms. 


The other concern is the extremely cold weather.     It’s been mid-teens to mid 30’s throughout the trek.  It will continue to get colder as we ascend. My gear has been holding up so far.  I might be shaking uncontrollably, but once I get in my sleeping bag at night - I’m able to warm up quickly.  My hiking clothes have worked well.  I’m wearing anywhere from 2 to 5 layers up top.  I’m getting by with just my trekking pants/ex-officio briefs on bottom.  I’m wearing a liner pair of socks and then a really thick trekking pair that comes up to my knees.  I’m working with a dual glove system - keeping my thin gloves on most of the time during the hike - but often start the day with both pairs.  I’m wearing an insulated hat with a hefty buff over my neck/face nearly 100% of the time - along with a hood from one of my jackets. 


Today was a solid day.  We started the day at 12,664’.  We descended 300’ on an icy trail.  We wore micro spikes during this section.  (These spikes might be the most valuable piece of equipment I have with me)  The rest of the day, we climbed 1,700’ - but it felt very gradual.  The overall difficulty wasn’t bad at all - certainly still very challenging considering the elevation.  


We’ve been in a groove where we start trekking at 8am, stop for a tea break at 10am, then stop for lunch between 12-12:30pm.  We usually finish our hike between 3-5pm.  


A group of us have been hiking together in the lead pack:  myself, Greg, Liam, Korby, John, Priscilla, Ann, Margot, Leah, and a guide.   We’ve found a pretty comfortable pace that works well for the group.  


I’m immensely impressed by a number of these guys.  John, Steve, and David are over 70 years old - and they are strong!   I mentioned before I thought the average age of the group was mid-40’s - I think it might be closer to low 50’s.  It’s been really fun getting to know everybody.  I’m getting new trip ideas all the time.  


I’m finishing up the blog and dinner will be served in about 30 minutes.  The sun is setting outside - and the temps are decreasing.  I’ll probably hang out huddling around the fire for a couple hours after dinner.  Tomorrow is our second/final Zero Day.  We’ll be getting out for some altitude to continue to support our acclimation.  


I’m going to sign off for tonight.  I’ve been sleeping between 9pm and 5am (trying to sleep).  To good health and good strength!!!



Early morning break


Lunch view


Dingboche lounge


Tea break


Our bags that will be placed on the Yaks


One of the many bridges


Yak dung - used for fires


More great views


On the trail to Dingboche


Steady incline


Lunch spot


River down in the valley


Early morning 


Constant views


Mountains everywhere 


Rest break views


One of the villages coming into site


Starting the day in Tyangboche 


Yaks coming up trail


Lunch spot


No comments:

Post a Comment