Monday, March 7, 2022

Day #10 - Everest BaseCamp

 Day #10 - Everest BaseCamp 


Monday, February 28, 2022


Itinerary:  Dingboche - Rest Day

Elevation:  14,042’


It’s 3pm - I’m sitting in the lounge of the Dingboche Resort.  It’s been a great day.  I am really tired though.  I’m sitting in the lounge so I don’t fall asleep in my room.  I want to make sure I get good sleep tonight - and a lengthy nap might compromise that from happening. 


I’m feeling ok.   I have a really scratchy throat and I’m tired.  Little headaches here and there.  I decided to start my Diamox medication this morning.  You take a 125mg pill every 12 hours - the goal is to assist with the acclimation process.   The guides were taking our blood oxygen levels this morning with a pulse oximeter.   Mine is hovering in the mid 80’s.  Most everybody was low to high 80’s right now.  One of our guides had a 96.  My oxygen levels in Denver at 6,000’ are normally 95.   It’s amazing how genetics and so many factors play a part in performance.  


Today is our second and final Zero Day.  Once again - it was not a zero exertion day.  We got up for breakfast at 8am.  This is the first time on the trek we didn’t have to pack our bags in the morning.  After breakfast - we headed out for an acclimation hike.  We did 1,300’ vertical ascent in a little over 1 mile.  It took us 2 hrs to go up and 30 minutes to come down. We peaked at 15,500’ - only 2,100’ from Everest BaseCamp. 


It was slow going on the ascent.  I was breathing hard - really hard.  Luckily - I could regain my breath after about a minute once we stopped.   It was an optional hike - so only about half the group participated.   Some folks went higher than others.  Liam and Korby got up to 16,500’.  Greg, Ann, and I made it to 15,500’.  Others made it up 1,000’ vertical - while some just hiked up a little ways from the hotel.  


After the hike - we had lunch in the lounge.  Then a group of us (myself, Greg, Ann, Margot, Priscilla, John, Jan, Iveta) walked down the hill into the village.  We stopped at this awesome French Bakery (just about the only place open in the village).  It was outstanding. We had some tea and hot chocolate - along with some brownies and muffins.  After the bakery - we strolled through the rest of the village and back to the hotel. 


I’m planning to rest up the remainder of the day with my feet up.  It’ll be an early bed time for me after our 6:30pm dinner. 


Well - we’re down to 2 days to go.  Tomorrow we climb 2,000’ vertical to 16,200’.  Then on Wednesday, March 2nd - we go for the ultimate prize - Everest BaseCamp.  It’ll be a 1,400’ climb.   Note - we still have a Kala Patar attempt on Thursday (March 3rd) at 18,519’ - but this is just icing on the cake for me.  


My mind right now is just trying to take things one day at a time (actually 1/2 day at a time).  Lots of folks are getting sick.  My roommate Warren had a terrible night last night.  He was up most of the night - keeping me up as well.  Jennie is experiencing pretty bad altitude issues.   Jan has bad knee troubles.  Randi has GI issues.  Most everybody has colds, coughs, etc.   It’s a matter of survival right now.  


I’m so thankful to have made it this far.  2 more days.  I’m praying for good health and strength. In life, all we can do at times is continue to do the right things and put ourselves in position to be successful.  I feel like I’ve done everything I could/should do to maximize my success. I can do this!!!  We’re less than 15 miles to Everest BaseCamp with only 3,600’ vertical ascent.  


Just keep 1 foot in front of the other.  Don’t make something more than it is.  Stay calm - stay focused.  I’m bummed we’ve had no wi-fi the past 3 days to share with family/friends. I will post as soon as possible.  


Goodnight from the Khumba Valley - just a couple short days from a long-awaited goal of mine.  Keep the Faith!!!  



Layout of the Khumba Valley


Warren on acclimation hike


Taking a break on the acclimation hike


Sonam (Sherpa) getting crazy


Liam on acclimation hike


Awesome 


I’m tired


Early morning in Dingboche


Dingboche Resort - our hotel


Walking through Dingboche


Amazing


Walking through Dingboche


Solar heat to boil water


French cafe tea time


Me on acclimation hike


Looking down onto Dingboche


Dingboche lounge


Early morning views 


Walking down the trail




No comments:

Post a Comment