Monday, March 7, 2022

Day #13 - Everest BaseCamp

 Day #13 - Everest BaseCamp


Thursday, March 3, 2022


Itinerary - Gorak Shep to Lobuche

Elevation:  16,962’ to 16,207’


Coming to you live from my bunk in Room #107 of the Pyramid Inn in Lobuche.  For the first time on this trip - I feel more relaxed and comfortable. Why?    I successfully summited Kala Patthar today - at 18,204’.   Outstanding!!!  Both goals I had coming into this trip - Everest BaseCamp and Kala Patthar - have been completed!!  16/20 people in our group made Everest BaseCamp and only 5/20 made Kala Patthar. 


Physically I’m just hanging on.  I have a cough, congestion, diarrhea, headaches, and major fatigue — but I’m still standing!!!  No worries - I would say just about everybody has stuff going on. Jennie had such severe symptoms of altitude sickness - she had to stay at Lobuche and didn’t even make the trek to Gorak Shep.  Tons of us have GI and cough/congestion issues.  This trip has been an amazing experience - but we’ve put our bodies through major stress - with the extreme low temperatures combined with the altitude and physical demands each day.  Luckily, we have a doctor (Jennie), an OR nurse (Priscilla), and a pharmacist (Ann) on the trip - along with the training from our guides and Sherpas. 


Because of what I just mentioned - everybody opted out of the Kalla Patthar hike this morning but myself. (Greg, Liam, Korby, and Ann did it yesterday). Dawhi (Sherpa) and myself started our trek at 7:40am.  It took me 2hrs, 20 min to summit.  It was a long, slow grind.  The last half mile I took about 25 steps at a time - then I had to rest a couple minutes.  I just wasn’t sure I would ever make it. Upon arrival - I was blessed with the best views of Mt Everest I had on the entire trip - amazing!!!!  After a ton of pictures, I made my way back to the hotel.  Total hike was 3hr, 30min.   


Greg was at the hotel when I arrived.  He chose to sleep in and not go for the Performance Trek.  He, I and Dawhi had some tea and then set off for our 2 hour hike back to Lobuche (where I’m at this evening).  Coming out of Gorak Shep we had a good bit of climbing for the first 3/4 of a mile.  I was so fatigued- I had to stop a number of times.  The course leveled out however and we were able to make good time the rest of the way. 


I was greeted with congratulations by the group as I walked into the lounge.  We sat and talked and had some lunch - it was still only 2pm.   John, Priscilla, Jan and myself decided we would play cards at 4pm.  I got my room situated and then headed back to the lounge.  We played cards for 2 hours until dinner.  We played Hearts - a game I played frequently in college.  It was awesome - drinking tea, eating popcorn, getting the competitive juices going - all good stuff!  


After dinner, we talked some more and I was back in the room around 8pm.  Finishing the blog now - time for rest. 


Tomorrow- we head down the mountain.  We’ll be at 12,664’ tomorrow night - where hopefully we’ll all see some of our illnesses subside. 


Goodnight from a happy, content, partially sick fella on the road to Everest BaseCamp.  Keep the Faith out there!



View of Everest in background 


Peak of Kala Patthar view


Gorak Shep hotel


Looking down the route to Kala Patthar from peak


Spectacular morning


Dawhi and I at peak of Kala Patthar


Taking a break


Greg and I before returning to Lobuche


Almost down


Valley views


At the peak - looking at Everest


Amazing!!


Looking out over the Valley


Me at the Peak of Kala Patthar


Gorak Shep


I did it!


Almost down


Another awesome pic


Start of the summit hike


More amazing pics



1 comment: