Monday, March 7, 2022

Day #11 - Everest BaseCamp

 Day #11 - Everest BaseCamp 


Tuesday, March 1, 2022


Itinerary:  Dingboche to Labuche 

Elevation:  14,042’ to 16,207’


It’s 3:30pm - I’m sitting in the lounge of the Pyramid Inn in Labuche (Elevation:  16,207’).  I’m exhausted.   The altitude is certainly affecting me right now.  Our group of 9 (myself, Greg, Liam, Korby, Priscilla, John, Margot, Ann, Leah) got into camp at 3pm.  We’re drinking hot tea.  There’s very little conversation - everybody is spent.  


It’s now 5:30pm - I’m back in the lounge after getting my room situated.  I’m staying with Greg and Korby tonight.  This place has a variety of 3 & 4-bed rooms - so I am split up from Warren tonight.  


The day started off at 8am from Dingboche.   The morning portion of the hike had a gradual incline; therefore, it was really enjoyable.   The scenery was spectacular as we worked our way up the Khumba Valley.   I took a ton of pictures.   After a relaxing lunch, the afternoon trek was again extremely brutal.   We gained 1,200 feet in only 3 miles or so.   I had my first experience where I just couldn’t quite keep up with the lead pack.  I did better before getting into the hotel - but I definitely need to slow down and manage my oxygen intake.  


There’s a lot of anxiety and uneasiness amongst the group right now.  All 20 of us are still standing - but nobody is 100%.  I have a major sore throat and cough. (They say it’s the Khumba cough - about half the group has it). Tomorrow we push to Everest BaseCamp.  I’m hoping to get some good sleep tonight - and make it happen. 


It’s interesting in the lounge right now.  There’s a guy (Dom) here acclimatizing for an upcoming Everest bid in April.   Really cool to here his stories.  There’s also a German guy (Yost) who is attempting to do a solo ascent of Everest in the winter along the West Ridge.   Do to extreme conditions - he wasn’t able to summit this year.  He’s actually on his way down the mountain to Kathmandu- it’s just a crazy coincidence he is here this evening.  


Wi-fi is out in the whole Khumba Valley.  I’m continuing to write the blog everyday - and will post promptly when possible. 


I wish I could touch base with my family and friends - I could use a little inspiration right now.  That’s OK - I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow. 


“You know - when I’m on that trail - and my head is hurting, my legs are hurting, and I’m struggling to keep on my feet from fatigue - I’m thinking - man, just send the helicopter and get me off this mountain. But then, there’s this side that comes out - this side that wants to continue on, wants to go that 1 more mile —- because going those few extra miles when you don’t think you can - that’s what makes all the difference in your life”. 


Keep the Faith out there!!!!



Start of the Memorials for fallen Everest climbers


Taking a break on the way to Lobuche


Almost to Lobuche - 1/4 mile side trail


Pretty clean trail


Open valley


Fantastic


Glacier near the Pinnacle Hotel in Lobuche


Lunch spot


Cold - but nice hiking weather


Side trail to the Pinnacle Hotel


Pinnacle Hotel in Lobuche 


Along the trail


Yea break


Memorial


Gathering outside the Pinnacle



Resting on trail









No comments:

Post a Comment