Monday, May 11, 2020

Day #60 - AT Hike - Smokey’s Bypass start

Monday, May 11 -  Day #60 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 0 (Zero Day)
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 773.4/2,193 (35.27%)

Zero Day near Standing Bear Hostal - Best Western Hotel

Total States Completed - 1/14

OK - so this is weird to have a second Zero in a row. It really wasn’t planned that way - but I decided to go long on Saturday to get to the Hostal and out of the cold. I needed yesterday to resupply and chill. Today was a lengthy drive down to the Standing Bear Hostal. I just have to get past schedules/timing - it’s not a race - it’s about finishing the journey.  That’s much easier said then done for me - but, I’m trying to get better.

Coming to you live from a Bestwestern Hotel about 15 minutes from the Standing Bear Hostal. I got a shuttle ride from Stanimals this morning over to Enterprise Rental Car about 8am. I got down to Standing Bear around 3pm today. That was with a few stops in Bristol. I had to find a place to print out my Smokey’s permit. (After a couple trys - Office Depot was able to print it for me after emailing them the file).  I then did a quick stop by the Bristol Motor Speedway.  It’s one of the most popular tracks on the NASCAR circuit.  My buddies would drive to this track every year and would always tell me about it - pretty cool. (I’m not a huge NASCAR guy - but I follow just about every sport). I then made a couple attempts to get my haircut - I found a barbershop that was open — but major lines. You had to sign-up on a board outside the barbershop, put your make/model of car - then people would wait in their vehicles (mandatory masks during haircut).  I wasn’t going to wait 2+ hours - I’ll try again at some point down the road.

I did a quick tour around the Standing Bear Hostal upon arrival - but wasn’t feeling it as far as staying there for the night with hotels only 10-15 minutes away. They only had the bunk house available - and there were several people already there (smoking weed). The next 5 days is going to be pretty tough with major elevation in the Smokey’s. I opted to get better sleep and a good meal instead of snacks and a loud bunkhouse.

I actually ate inside the Cracker Barrel restaurant tonight. First time in a restaurant since Covid-19 started. They had limited seating (only 2 other people there). It was all good.  Great dinner!

Shutting down early tonight. I setup the shuttle for 6am tomorrow morning. It’s a 2-hr drive to Stecoah Gap - then I have a long day of hiking ahead of me.

Here’s to a strong performance this week!! Stay healthy and happy out there!


Very cool sign

Front of the Standing Bear Hostal

The track is in a pretty remote area

The whole track

Very rustic

This photo has a little of everything 

No comments:

Post a Comment