Thursday, May 7, 2020

Day #55 - AT Hike

Day #55 - AT Hike

Wednesday, May 6 - Day #55 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 20.0
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 716.4/2,193 (32.67%)

Stanimals Hostel (787.3) to Brown Mountain Creek Shelter (807.3) - tent at Brown Mountain Creek Shelter

Total ascent - 5,155’
Total descent - 4,460’

Total States Completed - 1/14

Coming to you live from my tent at the Brown Mountain Creek Shelter. It’s 8:50pm. Big day today. 20-miler on the nose with 5,155’ vertical ascent.  It took me right at 9 hours total with breaks - so 2.22 miles/hr. I’m starting to think actual trail conditions (clean vs technical) make more of a difference to me in terms of difficulty than the vertical ascent.  Today’s hike wasn’t too bad even with all the climbs - because the trail was pretty smooth throughout. My heels are still hurting pretty bad at the end of these long days - but the other portions of my feet are doing better with the Superfeet inserts. I just have to get these heels to stop hurting - that was my only limiting factor coming into the shelter today.

I got up early at the Hostal today (6:30am). Only 1 other person was up already. The Hostal caretaker made pancakes for the whole crew. Really good way to start the day!  After breakfast - the caretaker shuttled us back to the AT around 8:30am. $30 for the overnight - which included laundry, pancakes, brownies/ice cream, and shuttles to/from the AT trail and to/from the grocery store.  Not a bad value package!

Today’s hike started with a huge 2,400’ climb right out of the gates.  75% of the total vertical was in the first 10 miles of the hike. It was slow going - but I was able to make up some time in the afternoon. Chickweed, Cambyr (not Amber - I’m really bad at names) and 2 Cans went on ahead of me today. When we all start at the same time (especially up a big climb) - I’m just not nearly as fast as them - I always encourage them to go ahead.  Somehow through the day - Chickweed and Cambyr got behind me when they stopped at a shelter (I didn’t know it). I actually didn’t see them all day after the first 30 minutes of hiking. 2 Can and I passed each other a couple times throughout the day. He and I are here at the same shelter - we’re actually not sure where Chickweed and Cambyr stopped for the night. (Hopefully everything is ok there)

Tomorrow the goal is 15.8 miles - with huge vertical again. This is a tricky few days with all the climbing. I wanted a lesser day after the 20-miler today. It’s really nice when you feel 16 miles is a very reasonable day.  If I could just get the feet feeling better - the rest of the body is bouncing back from a few rough days there. I think the three 20-milers in a row wasn’t the smartest move a couple weeks back.  I’m training my body to go longer - but I still need to be careful.

It’s cold again today. Upper 30’s to low 40’s tonight. I have my puffy jacket with sockcap on - with liner and sleeping bag zipped up to my head. I’m sleeping by a flowing stream - hopefully I’ll get a good night’s rest. Last night I was in a room with 3 other guys (didn’t know them) - 2 bunk beds. One of the guys snored like a grizzly bear. I didn’t get much sleep. I still haven’t had that sound sleeping performance in my tent yet. It’s Day #55 - still waking up several times throughout the night in the tent. I’m getting a number of hours of restful sleep - but it’s not close to how I can sleep in my own house/bed.

Here’s to feeling relaxed, safe, and getting that award winning sleep performance tonight!   Goodnight from a winter evening in the spring woods of central Virginia.

Amazing views today

Awesome!

Really good

Flowers are everywhere

Another Overlook

You could smell the flowers

Great!

First climb of morning

Top of first climb

I really like this one!

Excellent 

More flowers

Can’t help it

Late afternoon 

Neat bridge

Top of first climb

Nice!

One of my favorites 

More flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment