Friday, May 1, 2020

Day #50 - AT Hike

Friday, May 1 - Day #50 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 9.4
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 639.4/2,193 (29.16%)

Lambert’s Meadow Shelter (720.9) to Daleville, Virginia (730.3) - hotel at Howard Johnson Inn

Total ascent - 1,242’
Total descent - 2,154’

Total States Completed- 1/14

Day #50 — I can’t believe this is my 50th day on this journey to walk the Appalachian Trail. Roughly- a third of the way finished (based on my total days projected).

It’s pretty late (10:30pm) here at the Howard Johnson Inn in Daleville, Virginia. Busy, full day today. I hiked into town early this morning - arriving around 11am. It was a nice hike with great weather. I passed a number of day hikers coming up the other direction from Daleville.

Once into town - I was able to get cleaned up and do my laundry. I then walked over to Kroger to get my resupply. There was a noticeable change today while I was out. Tons more people grocery shopping. It was the first time I sort of felt conditions similar to pre-Covid. I felt a little uncomfortable actually. I had my mask on - got the food - and hit the road.

Dinner was some baked chicken with fresh salsa & chips. I had a chance to talk with my mom and have a Zoom Happy Hour with my Lifetime Fitness family back in Denver. It’s been a really good day!

I have 134 miles to my next destination- Waynesboro, Virginia. I’m planning around 8-9 days to get there. Honestly  - my body has been pretty beat up this past week - so I’m hoping to ease into this segment.  I want to regain that energy and drive I possessed earlier in the hike.

It sounds like the Smokeys are phasing a reopen to begin on May 9th. Once I get confirmation that the AT trail is opened in the park - I’m planning to go back to cover my 90.9 miles I missed on my bypass. I plan to make Waynesboro first - then hit the Smokey’s.

I’m one tired puppy. Sounding off for now. Good night from a surprisingly active small town in Virginia.

Nice trails today

Overlooking a river near Daleville 

Hills above Daleville 

First getting started this morning

Really nice

This is my favorite of the day 


No comments:

Post a Comment