Sunday, May 10, 2020

Day #59 - AT Hike

Sunday, May 10 - Day #59 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 0 (Zero Day)
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 773.4/2,193 (35.27%)

Zero Day at Stanimals Hostal in Waynesboro, VA

Total States Completed - 1/14

**No rain

Coming to you live from my King Bed at the Stanimals Hostal in Waynesboro, VA.  Relaxing day today. I only went outside for about an hour to get my resupply. I’m planning to carry 6 days of food so I can make it through the Smokey’s. My food bag is spilling over - I think I went overboard a bit. The good thing - I can eat a bunch of snacks tomorrow during my long drive.

Just so you have an idea of what I’m eating, here’s what I bought:

Meals:
4 mash potatoes and 4 small packs of tuna (eaten together)
2 bags of rice
Jar of peanut butter and 10 tortillas (lunch)

Snacks: (average 10 snacks/day with extra)
10 snickers
4 Reese’s peanut butter cups
4 chocolate pop tarts
10 peanut butter cliff bars
24 Welch fruit snack packs
8 blueberry fig bars
12 multigrain bars

Today I ate a salad for lunch with strawberries, blueberries, and bananas. I also had some fresh salsa and chips.  Tonight I grabbed a steak/cheese subway sandwich and ate a couple of my snacks.

I also bought some multivitamins and will start taking 1 daily. I’m really trying to concentrate on getting some good nutrition and staying healthy. The other thing I did today is buy Dr Scholl’s heel raise inserts. I did some research and I believe my heel pain is Achilles tendinitis.  Raising the heel is one of the possible options to alleviate the pain.  I also kept my inserts from my original shoe when I changed over to the Superfeet. Today - while walking around to get my resupply - I wore both the Superfeet and the original insert on top. It felt fine - so I might start with this and fall back to the Dr Scholls if needed. The good thing - the heel pain usually takes a few hours of hiking before it starts. I just don’t want that Achilles’ tendon to weaken and snap on me (that would be very bad).

Tomorrow I’ll get a ride from the Hostal caretaker over to the Enterprise Car Rental Place for pickup around 8am. Looks like it will be a 5-1/2 to 6 hour drive down to the Standing Bear Hostal. Should be relaxing. I haven’t driven in 60 days - hope I remember how.

Goodnight from Virginia - Tennessee awaits!

My view most of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment