Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day #48 - AT Hike

Wednesday, April 29 - Day #48 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 16.7
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 613.6/2,193 (27.98%)

Niday Shelter (687.8) to Four Pines Hostal (704.5)

Total ascent - 3,958’
Total descent - 4,102’

Total States Completed - 1/14

**Rain Day

Coming to you live from the Four Pines Hostal. I decided to go an extra mile than planned to sleep under a roof tonight - raining now & thunderstorms predicted. I’m breaking my rule of not sleeping in a community Hostal. I’m still carrying my hand sanitizer with me at all times and sleeping in my liner and sleeping bag. There’s only 3 of us here - 2 cans, Cliffhanger, and myself. Chick Peas and Amber are here as well - but they are tenting out back - they decided to do an extra 6 miles after dinner so they could go for Daleville tomorrow (only getting back after dark)

Today was intended to be a lesser, more relaxed day. Due to the extreme technical nature of the trail - it was anything but that. The first 9 miles were really nice and enjoyable - I met up with Chick Peas and Amber at a couple breaks. Then - the afternoon happened. BRUTAL!

First off - in my pre-hike prep (a blog I posted back in February) - there were a few spots I was really looking forward to in Virginia:  Dragon’s Tooth, McAfee Knob, and Tinker Cliffs. These are all known to be spectacular views - with McAfee Knob being the single most iconic photo of the entire AT.

Today - Dragon’s Tooth was first up - around Mile#14 of my hike (end of day). I was excited to see it. Well - let me say that the “cliffs” leading to/from Dragon’s Tooth were the single most dangerous climbing I’ve done on the entire trail to date. The others here at the Hostal corroborated it. I am not exaggerating at all - there were a couple times I was scared for my life. I had to throw my trekking poles off these huge cliffs and crawl with my hands and feet. Now - Bouldering can be fun when you’re day hiking with no pack or a very small daypack. If you read the reviews for the Dragons Tooth dayhike - it’s all thumbs up. HOWEVER - bouldering with a 35 pound backpack that’s big and top heavy - is straight up ridiculous. My only saving grace - it was not raining at the time. If it was raining during this section - it would have been almost suicidal to try it.  I was almost angry during this section.  I honest to god am not being weak here - and I’m not a complete newbie to hiking —- there were “caution” signs all around for a reason. It doesn’t matter who you are - if you put a 35 pound pack on anybody and have them do these cliffs — it’s a tough ask.

The folks here at the Hostal indicated there are a few sections in New Hampshire and Maine like this as well. There are potential areas where you can slackpack (have a hotel/Hostal keep your big bag and you take a daypack - they pick you up after a section and bring you back to the hotel/Hostal). This is something I will consider. If I had no pack today - I really don’t think it would have been all that bad - and probably a lot of fun.

Tomorrow I get to see McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. Everybody has said the trek tomorrow is much smoother - I’m looking forward to it.  McAfee Knob is on the cover of Bill Bryson’s Book - “A Walk in the Woods” (one of the covers). Hopefully I’ll have some good pictures to post

Here’s to a good nights rest out of the rain. Stay safe and stay strong out there!!

This was one of the easy cliff climbs

Afternoon break site

Bouldering

A walk through the woods

Really cool views

A sign to my Hostal from the AT

I saw a huge black snake 

Appropriate 

Power line views

Chilling on a break - picture by Chick Peas

Great scenery 

View from my hostal

Dragon’s tooth 

More views

Dragon’s  tooth

Excellent 

Creek crossing 


No comments:

Post a Comment